406 ECU tuning

Hi,

I have a P406 2.1L Turbo diesel engine, in which I have recentry replaced an air filter with a K&N one. I am now thinking of remapping its ECU, but not quite sure how much of a performance increase I would get. I would be very interested in getting more power over the 3000rpm mark as it seems to just die at this point.

Any good places to have this done in or links to some sites also appreciated :)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Diesels don`t do POWER at higher rev`s, they are all about TORQUE at low rev`s. Have a read of all - there is a lot - at

Unfortunately, I have no commercial connection. Happy motoring, Wally.

walter.lindsay

Have a look at:

Rob

Reply to
Rob Duijf

you can gain about 20% in Bhp and a mere 40Nm on torque before dramatically shortening your engines lifespan

If your really take it to the max an increase of 50% can be achieved by then you do need an induction kit ( K&N makes a nice one) an you have to take the Kat out . passing a MOT test is not easy by then....

DO NOT USE the powerbox or whatever, it only opens the injectors for a prolonged time, its rubbish

go for ODB remapping/rechipping

maybe

is a good start of onyour search

Reply to
Marc

Thanks for this. I looked through this site and it seems to be pretty cheap compared to most UK ones. Can the ECU be changed by myself or does have to be done by the garage?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Hi Marc,

Pretty true on petrol or electronically injected engines, but here we're talking about a 2.1TD, so a XUD11 BTE. For sure it's a fully mechanic injection (possibly with a little electronics control on advance / retarding due to the cat - however I keep in mind that cat'd 205Ds (German specs for example, XUD9/Y) only had a chimic cat (no electronics for it) and an EGR valve).

I'm afraid there's no ECU map, as there's not any full control ECU (no Bosch EDC or whatever else), so a remapping would be as useless as if I tried with my 205D :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

You don't have to change the ECU. It's very easy, I have done this on a 307 2.0 HDI. You can mail him for info.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Duijf

Alex, I have this exact car, in estate form. I must say that mine does not stop pulling strongly until just after

4000Rpm, so I suspect you timing is wrong or your valve clearances might need adjusting.

Mine has done 144k miles now, it's still limping along, but I suspect the turbo may be on it's last legs. I took the car to a diesel tuner, who for approx £60, altered the timing of the 'manual' diesel pump to up the power slightly without any smoke (approx

120Bhp I think).

*Warning* - It does seem to use slightly more fuel though. (45mpg on a run at *cough* *90'ish*)

This car does not have a very fancy ECU, it's a very old design engine, the most technically advanced thing about it is the 12valve head, I think the ECU only controls emissions or something. They are very old design diesels, the HDI unit is far superior technologically, just shame about there fuel lift pumps breaking up...

Another good modification is to fit a larger and more efficient Intercooler, or try cleaning yours out as they fill up with leaves and crud, this will give much better 'top end'

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

i stand corrected, its usefully for a HDI.

however if you fiddle around with the pump you could get fair results i got my 305d ( XUD9 )to run 176km/h by turning the fuel ratio up and giving it a RAM air inlet ;-), later on i gave it some extra pressure with two 12 volt axial fans, same top speed, lots more torque, you should have seen the faces of the golf TDI drivers when it kept up with them:-) these day's it is a HDI which in contrary to the XUD9 would not withstand an EFR pulse...

i'm sure a 205d can get to the same results

PS the ELF feul worked okay :-) 216km/h ( pug clock) on the A39, amsterdam tignes 8h53min including dinner and lots of snow in the Ardennes. did not brake any legs, trip home 234km/h downhill... scary!!!

Reply to
Marc

Hi,

Eh eh :-)

True, but I wonder if the pump's and / or engine's reliability isn't affected. MPG must be less good, too. The other problem is the emissions test.

Kind of forced air inlet ?

Must be great :-) My brother used to pass the Golf TDi 90HP with his '91

205DTurbo, he said it was great fun. Oh, the DTurbo is still fine, even better once the pump was overhauled and trimmed, but my brother doesn't drive as fast now.

Yes, of course. When my brother was studying automotive mecanic, he knew a guy which did the same with his 106D (don't ask me if it was a 1.4 or 1.5), damn it was a bullet ! 180KPH on the clock.

I knew it would be OK, considering the results on my 205D (and those on my cousin's XAD). Ouch, 216KPH on a motorway, you're damn lucky the speedtraps doen't concern foreign cars !

Correct time ! Starting from Burgundy to Tignes, using the fastest way at legal speeds would take 5h29 (according to Michelin Road Atlas 2002).

Sure, not often driven under 180KPH, true ?

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

which was easely taken by turning the screw backwards :-0 and then forwards again after the test

My very own interpertation of a supercharger :-) it even had a pressure adjustment knob, the presure itself was on and about 800Mbar over normal

overtaking them was not possible but tailing them sure was fun, then eat them in better cornering, and leaving them dazed

mind you that i fidled aroung with timing, injector window and turbo presure in the ECU, and mounted a K&N filter

You bet, my friend though got a ?90 fine for doing 170, rather cheap though if you compare that to Holland ( some ?500 and revoking your licence for some time)

there AFIAK only speedtraps around thionvile on the A31 I got my self framed though @ the third Sarco in metz, thought there were two :-( did not get the ticket though

errhh none! the 234 ( it might be 235 i did not look all that long) was @ a moderate downslope, ti shivered slight ly @ 220, and then went on to the red zone on the rpm gauge

Grrzz

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Hi Marc,

True. Er... I've heard it was easier on a Roto pump than on a Bosch, true ?

It looks like a supercharger, but I didn't want to write this term :-)

800mbar is over the max pressure you get with a DTurbo (600mbar according the the data I've got here).

Oh, once on a tiny, tight-bended road in the Morvan, he was followed by a Toy MR-2, he said he pushed up to 170KPH between curves, the MR was coming back to him on straight lines, but was relegated far behind in curves (I assume my brother has used his favorite combination of late-braking and fast-cornering, as the DTurbo chassis (same as 1.6GTi) offers this possibility).

Yup, but I meant this fuel offers good performance.

Possibly with "classic" speedtraps (with cops to stop them), not with automatic speedtraps.

eeeeeeeeeeek !

They install speedtraps almost every week. I've heard of a site showing them :

(I got the URL by a friend yesterday, I haven't tried it). All I can tell you is I saw two of them last time I was around Paris, on the highway, no flash no bill :-)

Sure you'll never receive it. I read an article saying that the Sarkoboxes "made" 2.1 millions fines, with 700,000 of them for foreign cars, which are not treated due to the lack of an european car plate file.

Wow ! Really the max speed, as the red zone is around 5k RPM on this car (from memory, around 5200, but I may be wrong). This amazed me, as the XUD7 (and possibly 9, although I never checked) already has a max revving of

5100RPM (before regulation) - and this can be considered as a fast Diesel.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

yup the Roto pump is far more easier, you rip of the sealing ring and then turn it clockwise readjust the stationairy RPM ( it has gone up..) readjust the max rpm ( otherwise you wreck your engine pretty quick) take the stupid round foam filter out and put another one in lube with shel helix ultra 0w30 MPG is as poor as you can get it, passing a MOT test is reseting it to original.

as said it was my own interpretation :-) if worked ok as long as it lasted, no my mum drives my old 305 and she is more into fuel economy so i did put the original parts in

hmm i always thought it was a little under 1bar for a XUD9TE , thnx for the info also an XUD9TE fits in a 305, making it dangerously fast

mine is also on that site,

yeah the morvan has some great roads to corner, once did Beaune Autun in just over 26 minutes...( dark night) got overteken though by somthing so fast i couldn't tell what it was, it was red though.... maybe your brother :-) ?

Eating an MR2 is not an easy task, a friend on me has one and it is damn quick in the corners to

yup and pay or stay was the deal :-( told him that ( he has an audi A4 ) doing over 200 the fliques probably wont even have noticed him:-)

( remember scene from TAXI III, where JL Schlesser and Luc Besson baby sit a speedtrap and the Taxi goes to damn fast for the radar to be noticed)

I TRY to keep my foot as lite as posible, also the cruise control helps avoiding these speed fines Doing over 50km/h to fast is bey bey drivers license, the max speed on moterway's is 120km/h so you get fined pretty quick :-(((( on the other hand it is almost impossible to drive to fast because of the traffic jam which is almost 24/7 . so i'm genuinely sorry for bulking out the smoke on french moterway's

So that is a matter of time then:-( got a german "geldstraffe" just two weeks after being flashed, that is even faster then they get it to you if your fined over here, much proof for german punctuality

the DW10 goes redidsh @ 5000, and red around 5200 true, i never hit it though on a flat road the xud9 goes straight trough the roof up to 5600 if you fiddle with the ROTO pump, it sounds like a WWII bomber then. you realy want to limit that to 5000

Grrzz

Marc

Reply to
Marc

you might find this intresting

Marc

Hi,

(Sorry, I should have written XUD7T).

XUD9TE max pressure is around 950mb.

True it fits. And, although I've never heard of such mod, yes it must be fast as hell (hell you won't reach late if you ever forget it's a 305) !

Not really a long time. 46km, 26min gives an avg speed of 106KPH. Pffffffffff !

Nope, his car is white. See the lightweight bullet at

:-)And his motorbike is dark green (kind of english green), but I guess it'sless effective into curves (Yam 600 Diversion) :-)

Perhaps it was just the driver which was too slow on curves :-)

Common deal. Sometimes it's just stay here, say goodbye to your licence.

Damn pure french slang, BTW the term of flique(s) can have 2 spellings : flic(s) or flique(s).

This can happen, the 1st radars we had in France (Mesta 102, 1963) was unable to take speeds above 140kph. stop dreaming, they're all out for a while. Then replaced by 206 (don't know when), white barbecue, then again by Mesta 208 (big kaki bullet, less visible of course) which were unreliable above 250KPH. Now, laser radars (like Sagem's Eurolaser) possibly have limitations, but I don't know them.

Sure, the cruise control has more success because of politics than because of drivers' choice.

Mmmm, same here, 130KPH on motorways, 110KPH when rainy, pretty easy (moreover when rainy).

Come on, that's not a problem, we pay a specific tax on fuel for that.

Mmmm, yeah, enjoy it till then !

Happily !

Having driven my XUD7 up to the "original" 5100/5200RPM (theorically 5100, but never checked that) makes me imagine the noise over 5600. May well be dangerous for the engine / pump.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

These devices do absolutely nothing whatsoever.

They are a scam.

Their worthlessness is well documented !

Reply to
Nom