406 hdi 90hp fuel problem

Only doing 31mpg on long runs. Noisy tappetty sound from engine between

2K - 3K revs then disappears. New cambelt fitted but doing this before the change.

Garage says ECU could be overfuelling the injectors at this rev range and this is why the tappetty sound and the fuel problems. Garage suggested they download something to ECU but need this month's disk to do it as disk on computer is out of date. Garage says that download might fix over fuelling!

Would this be correct? How much are injectors for the HDI 90 in the UK?

ADVICE: Do not put original e-mail address in your postings. Virus Spammers will hit you hard!

Thanks.

Reply to
ML

You don't want to know.

For 1.4 hdi they are 500 EUR each (over here, it won't be much difference in the UK). For comparison, new turbo is around 1600 EUR , but it can be renewed for just a fraction of the cost. Injectors can't.

Reply to
Dusko Lolic

Hi ML,

My 306 90Hdi makes the same noisey tappety sound between 2k and 3k, but only when under heavy load (ie up hills, towing the trailer etc). I was wondering if it could be waste-gate related. Please let me know how you get on with resolving this problem, cos it is a major concern for me!

(ed at westicles dot net) Any chance you could drop me an e-mail, then I can remember to ask you again in a month or two!!

Cheers, Ed

Reply to
Ed

Hello,

It may be correct, as the pump is electronically controlled. Does it happen under heavy load, light load, or at any load ?

I don't know, but here I've heard of about 250EUR exc. VAT (each) in 2000.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Thanks for replying.

It is most noticeable under heavy load. I have noticed another couple of things tonight.

  1. When accelerating hard and taking my foot of the accelerator, the car does not want to brake but seems to want to run on as if it is still getting Diesel, which is quite scary when I want to brake hard and the car wants to keep going.
  2. I put the passenger window down and the tappetty noise seems to be more prominent from the left (passsenger) side.

Thanks again.

Reply to
ML

Hello,

Perhaps it's just a feeling, and just has something to do with turbo or electronic throttle lag. Or an air intake into fuel circuit, but I guess it would have stopped the engine : HDis are so sensitive.

Sorry, no more clues.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T