406 Heater Blower Fan

Hi.

I am really getting frustrated with this now. My heater blower fan of my 1998 406 ONLY works on full power. I was told I needed a new blower fan, so I replaced it. Still no joy. So I replaced it again. Same problem.

Then I was told it would be the digital control unit (with all the buttons on it). Put in a new (expensive) one of those together with another new fan. Again. Same problem.

What could the problem possibly be?

It works, but only on full power and its really annoying because things like a/c you would rather have working on low-medium fan which I cannot do.

ANY ADVICE PLEASE??

Thanks

Reply to
MostWanted

Is there a resistor pack to offer differing voltage levels to the fan, based on what the "digital control unit" tells it to do (ie, "digital control unit" simply replaces the physical switch, and the speed is still adjusted by resistors as in a "normal" car) ?

Reply to
Nom

the resistor pack is built onto the fan unit no? So everytime I changed the fan unit, effectively I was changin the resistor pack aswell right?

Reply to
MostWanted

Hi,

I don't know for AC-equiped cars, but often an external pack, due to dissipation imperatives. Often made of 3 resistors (the 4th speed being direct) and a thermofuse / thermodiode acting like a fuse.

I've got a part called "module" next to blower fan for AC-equiped Mk1 406s (codename D8). I don't know if it's the resistor pack.

BTW, I'd like to drop a line about this : don't you, guys, think it's incredible to see resistor packs fit nowadays ? Bad efficience (useful power/used power ratio) for a speed variation, they'd better fit a DC/DC converter, which isn't more expensive, if you see the price for a set of power resistors.

HTH, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I don't actually know - I was just trying to establish how the system works, so we could work out what was bust :)

This is the sort of thing an auto-electrician should have no trouble with - I'd be looking in my Yellow Pages.

Reply to
Nom

I think it probably is. You should soon be able to find out, with a bit of wire-tracing and multimeter work.

No idea - I'm no electrician :)

Car makers always use "If it aint broke, don't fix it". Resistor packs may well be crap - but if they're cheap and reliable, then there's no point in Peugeot spending £££ on researching and developing a replacement.

Reply to
Nom

I don't know if this is the case with the fan i the 406 but it is the case on 605's and 205's at least.

The fan i equiped with a electronic regulator, with a bypass relay. The bypass relay is operating only at full speed, otherwise the electronic regulator is powering the fan. The electronic regulator is probably faulty. This could explain the symptoms you are describing.

The engineer that developed the regulator did not have sufficient electronic skills to understand that placing two bipolar transistors in paralell without some kind of arangment for current sharing, can be a recipe for disaster.

The transistors in the fan are probably blown, (both of them).

If you, or any of your friends have the necessary skills, you can find replacements, and repair the regulator yourselves. Just replace both the TO-3 transistors. Otherwise, you will have to try to get hold of a working fan, or a working regulator.

Hendrik

"MostWanted" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Hendrik Skarpeid

Hi,

That's my idea too, but removing parts to have an access could well be a pain. Glad I don't have to do it myself !

You don't know what you're missing ;-)

I do agree with you, but trust me, such an electronic module takes about 2 hours to design (and it's a max value) and costs about £5 to build (and that's a large amount, too). Just for fun, I've just designed such a PCB. My crappy design (took me 10 minutes) fits on a PCB which is only 48*25mm (18.9*9.84mil) - I could do even better if I wanted to.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T