406 Speedo woes

I'm still trying to sort out my eratic speedo, has anyone got any advice to give? Details are as follows. D8 406 1800 16v. Speedo is eratic dropping to zero sometimes. For some reason tends to be
worse on a hot day. I was told by a few that it was definitely the speed transducer behind the glovebox. Now from what I can figure out is that only cars with variable pas have this box. Mine doesn't have varable pas. However Peugeot assure me that according to their system it should have one. Behind the glovebox I only have two central locking boxes. My parts Cd and Haynes manual have been no help. Any suggestions as to where I should look or should I just go ahead and replace the gearbox speed sensor? Thanks Ryan

the
and
In my case, the Speedo would drop to zero for about half a minute then recover. Mine was a 406 2 litre auto Executive model. The fault turned put to be the sensor at the back of the gearbox. I believe some diesel models have a box or transducer mounted under the glovebox but like you, mine didn't. HTH Robin
Robin Bendall wrote:

I've had problems on a Xantia with that gearbox sensor. The chappie in the garage replaced it with a second hand one for very little cash. The symptoms were that the needle would swing erratically then drop to zero. Sometimes it would recover.
--
Malc

Loose contacts on the print behind the meter. Resolder all the pins of all meters and the problem will be solved.
greets Aat

Thanks for the replies. Aat I get the same with the a different instrument cluster so that rules out the intruments at least. Does anyone know of the gearbox speed sensors are interchangeable from the other Peugeot models say 306 or 206's. There are very few 406's in the breakers yards here but quite a few of the other Peugeot models. The agents want R14000GBP just for the part.

That sounds excessive! I bought mine from a main dealer and it cost about 26GBP just over a year ago.
There are different sensors for different engines and different models of engine - I replaced mine (1.9TD) about 9 months ago and the dealer said there were two types for that engine; depending on how many pins were on the connector, it would cost either 27 or 85! I never found out what the difference was, but mine turned out to be the cheaper one, so phew!
Phone a dealer with the VIN number and details and they should give you an idea of costs....
cheers, JB

I've been it touch with another Peugeot dealer and he recons that the D9 speedo sensor will also work in my D8, visually from what I can see they both look the same. Both have three pins. From what I can fathom the 'other' type has place for a speedo cable as well electrical connector ie. for use on taxis. Part no. is 6161-70 and cost a third of the one listed for my car via the VIN no. The part is on order from France so once it arrives we'll see if it fits and works.