HELP peugeot 406 1996

hi need some help with my 406 my speedo comes on when the car is cold in the mornings but goes out after it warms up ? { mabye 5 to ten mins } any ideas?? thanks

Reply to
lighthousekeeper

Sounds like it's either a 2.0 petrol or 2.1 TD like mine. Seems to be an ever increasing 406 problem. The problem lies behind the glovebox, there is a black box, with a cream top and red cable connector going into it. Pull the box downwards and you can realease the cables by pulling the red part to the side. You've got to see it to understand what I'm on about. You may need to remove the glove box, but I managed to get at it fro mthe passenger footwell with no problem. The box can be bought from Peugeot for about £40. It's called a 'speedo transducer'. And after phoning 4 Peugeot dealers, I found they prices ranged between £38 and £51! Also 2 of the dealers instantly knew what I was on about said it seems to be a common fault, the other 2 lied. It only affects the bigger engine 406's as the 1.9 diesel and

1.8 petrol are basic cable driven speedo's (which incidentally don't seem to have any problems),

Hope this helps Neil

Reply to
Neil D