406 steering Problem

My 97 406 at 230,000 km has started to kick left when accelerating and kick right when decelerating. Somewhat disconcerting. We've checked the track rod ends and steering components, tyres and front wheel alignment - very slight wear on track rod ends.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to a cure, or has had this problem?

Reply to
BobC

Purely trying logical guesses, I would look at the constant velocity joints and the brakes. The latter seems most likely. If you have a calliper stuck on the left side so it provides a permanent drag on the left wheel when accelerating but does not move when the brakes are applied thus allowing the right brakes to pull harder on the right wheel it would have the kind of effect you describe.

Reply to
Tinkerer

I have had exactly this on a 306; the culprit was wear in the rubber bushes mounting the lower wishbone to the subframe; they let the wishbone rotate about a vertical axis when a torque is applied by the wheel, giving a steering effect - the direction of the 'steering' is opposite for acceleration and braking. From your description my suspicions would lie with the right-hand wishbone.

Reply to
Albert T Cone