406 heater clicking

It is one of the heater control flap motors. Either the temperature control one or the re-circulate flap. One of the gears has stripped and they are not repairable. The circuitry senses the end of travel simple by the rise in motor current leaving the gear train under tension and eventually it strips. Absolute crap design!. I just cut the wire to mine to shut it up on my 405. Motors are expensive so you might want to do the same!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It is the recirculating flap motor and the fault is exactly as Bob describes. I had the identical (very common) problem on my 1999 406. The replacement motor is expensive (£120) for the earlier models and not much cheaper on the later ones. I removed the grill below the windscreen wipers which enables you to see the flap. I did this to ensure it was in the open position. The motor can be removed but you have to lay in the most uncomfortable position imaginable in the passenger foot well and remove the glovebox and the demisting pipes to get to it. My son-in-law did that bit and managed to remove the motor. After finding out the cost of replacement I decided to simply leave it off. You could of course achieve the same result by disconnecting the cables from it if you are not inclined to fork out for a replacement. I have been running the car for several years with the flap permanently open and only on a very few occasions, when finding myself behind elderly oil burning Fiestas (usually G reg) have I regretted it.

Reply to
Keith W

Before you fix the car Bob, could you put your PC calendar right?

Cheers

Bob (m)

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for that headsup, my wedding anniversary tomorrow (in OZ) and it would never do to put it off till January! That's what comes from looking at the calendar with undue care.

Bob M>> My 97 406 has developed an irregular click behind the glove

Reply to
BobC

My 97 406 has developed an irregular click behind the glove compartment. How hard is that to fix?

Reply to
BobC