406 stop alert

A fault has developed on my 406 hdi that makes the STOP light flash and the beeper to sound whenever the a/c is switched on. Also a message appears"Engine temperature too high". This can happen even when the engine is cold. The temperature sensor has been changed but this makes no difference. Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Reply to
tony

behind the grille, there is a triangularish box, inside there's 3 relay's, the downside one is faulty or has one of the leads rotten off

good luck

marc

Reply to
Marc Amsterdam

Thanks for that. Do you mean the long plastic box and the lowest relay in it? I will let you know how I get on. Tony

Reply to
tony

yup the very one

the sympthom you discribe varies from ECU to ECU, sagem warns different than the bosch ones. but ten to one this is the fault

take a very close look at the wires and check for corrosion etc.

good luck

Marc

Reply to
Marc Amsterdam

Hi Marc, The fault was actually a defective low speed fan resistor which has been replaced and all OK now. The relays were not at fault. Thanks for your help. Tony

Reply to
tony

This STOP light/temp warning light problem has plagued my '95 405, with or without the a/c, and sometimes even when the engine is stone cold. But it went away last year. And now it's back. Could the solution be the same?

And does this other solution from Tony also apply to a 405GL:

Reply to
Tim

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Thanks for that Marc. My 406 Hdi has just started doing the 'flash the STOP light once a second' and the Air Con not working properly. Sure enough it was a corroded and detached coil feed wire to the bottom relay in the triangular box.

All fixed now.

Thanks again

Reply to
Mick Whittingham