407 Diesel Sluggish When Cold

Twice recently our 407 diesel, after overnight temperatures around zero, has started normally but then been very sluggish, apparently until it warmed up. When I say 'sluggish', the vehicle would not move above walking pace regardless of the accelerator position. The first time I let it idle for a few minutes, which fixed the problem. This morning I, simply, drove the vehicle and the problem progressively disappeared within a few kilometres. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Ken

Put some diesel treatment stuff in it . that helps my 405 was like that untill i put some redex in the tank and gave it a good run .so give that a good try .

Reply to
Chris

i put some redex in the tank and gave it a good run .so give that a good try .

I wonder if your engine temperature sensor has gone out of spec. If it had failed totally, then a fault should have been identified but if it is in range but just telling lies ie indicating the engine is warm when it is cold , this would not happen but could explain the symptoms. I'm not familiar with the 407 engine so can't tell you where it is located.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

untill i put some redex in the tank and gave it a good run .so give that a= good try .

I think I have found what was causing the problem (though I don't understand why). I had booked the vehicle in (overnight so they could reproduce the problem the next morning, when sub-zero temperatures were forecast). However when next I attempted to start the vehicle - nothing! All displays were normal but no starter. Simple - a battery which had reached the end of its useful life. And, with a new battery, the morning sluggishness problem has disappeared. I wondered whether the turbo was electrical (well, radiator fans made this switch years ago! No - turbo is exhaust-driven. My best guess is that some system is voltage-sensitive - with a dicey battery, starting would drop the voltage. It would take a few minutes for the alternator to bring the voltage up, at which point things return to normal. Bob's suggestion that the temperature sensor could be involved is a possibility. I will ask the Service Manager. Any ideas??

Reply to
Ken