605 SLi - head gasket gone - first problem

You may have seen my earlier posting "1991 605 head gasket gone - DIY or junk the car?" Well, I decided on DIY and I'm now beginning to collect bits of engine all over the garage floor...

So - first problem for your assistance (there will be many more, I'm sure):

Spec: 605 SLi, 1998cc, injection, 8 valve, XU10 RFZ engine

How to detach the exhaust manifold from the exhaust front pipe?

Exhaust attaches to manifold at rear of engine. (or rear side as its transverse, but you know what I mean) There is about a two inch gap between the engine and the bulk-head. The exhaust manifold bolts are too rusty to remove, and there's not enough room back there to swing a spanner anyway. So obvious thing to do is leave the manifold on the head and detach the exhaust front pipe. Manifold is attached to exhaust front pipe via a big flange and two sprung bolts. Not a simple nut-and-bolt arrangement, there are these spring things. Impossible to attack it from above as there's so little room behind the engine. Impossible to get to it from below as there's all kinds of suspension and cross-beams in the way. Apparently (I'm guessing) Peugeot saw the problem, and fitted these sprung bolts which fit into slots (not holes) on the manifold side - some kind of quick-release mechansim, but I'm stuffed if I can figure out how to release the front pipe from the manifold.

I know there any not many 605s in the world, but anybody out there got one and done this ?

Dave, Winchester, UK

Reply to
Dave James

10mm spanner on top (single hex) 10mm socket from underneath (again single hex) they round very easily if unable to remove this way then cut them off through the spring with a saw/blowtorch and obtain a flange fitting kit which includes the bolts nuts seal springs washers etc
Reply to
mindwipe

OK - I'll give it another go this weekend. I have no idea how I'm going to get a spanner/ saw / blowtorch into that tiny space.

I'll give an update >>You may have seen my earlier posting "1991 605 head gasket gone - DIY or

Reply to
Dave James

Hi

Peugeot part number 1798 75 exhaust fixing kit / downpipe repair kit is what you are after, Last one I bought from a Pug dealer was around £17, Comes in kit form with all the bolts, springs, nuts etc you need.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

Reply to
Dave James

"Dave James" wrote: > I did it! > It didn't need spanners, saw or blow-torch. > What it needed was a long screwdriver, a really big hammer and > lots of > rust. A few well-aimed blows on the very rusty "cups" over the > spring > ends amd it all fell apart.... > > Dave James wrote: > > You may have seen my earlier posting "1991 605 head gasket > gone - DIY or > > junk the car?" > > Well, I decided on DIY and I'm now beginning to collect bits > of engine > > all over the garage floor... > > > > So - first problem for your assistance (there will be many > more, I'm sure): > > > > Spec: 605 SLi, 1998cc, injection, 8 valve, XU10 RFZ engine > > > > How to detach the exhaust manifold from the exhaust front > pipe? > > > > Exhaust attaches to manifold at rear of engine. (or rear > side as its > > transverse, but you know what I mean) > > There is about a two inch gap between the engine and the > bulk-head. The > > exhaust manifold bolts are too rusty to remove, and there's > not enough > > room back there to swing a spanner anyway. So obvious thing > to do is > > leave the manifold on the head and detach the exhaust front > pipe. > > Manifold is attached to exhaust front pipe via a big flange > and two > > sprung bolts. Not a simple nut-and-bolt arrangement, there > are these > > spring things. Impossible to attack it from above as there's > so little > > room behind the engine. Impossible to get to it from below > as there's > > all kinds of suspension and cross-beams in the way. > Apparently (I'm > > guessing) Peugeot saw the problem, and fitted these sprung > bolts which > > fit into slots (not holes) on the manifold side - some kind > of > > quick-release mechansim, but I'm stuffed if I can figure out > how to > > release the front pipe from the manifold. > > > > I know there any not many 605s in the world, but anybody out > there got > > one and done this ? > > > > Dave, Winchester, UK > >

Lol

Good ol Peugeot and their high quality fixings :D

Reply to
Streltsky