Re: Sierra head gasket?

Doubt if mods caused the problem.

  1. nope, dont know fords.
  2. caused by camber, cos you've lowered it. BM 3series suffers really badly here, as does Mk3 cav with rear IRS ( any 4x4, and the 2wd GSi ). Only thing you can do is swap front to back regularly. There is a Oz based company called Kmac that sells bushes that allow you to correct the camber, but they are more trouble than they are worth.
Reply to
Mark Craft

Seems a bit expensive to me. My guess would be about half that, but if it's not an engine they use in the French models or if they think your foreign (!) it costs more.

Follow the instructions in the Haynes manual (it's worth getting one). Try not to break the ends off the old bolts.

Reply to
David

these are for genuine ford parts. I was onto Ford Uk and it would be £103 for the head-set and £20 for the head-gasket £123 in total but postage on top to be added.

Reply to
Marty

Are you sure it's the head and not a core plug?

Reply to
Conor

Eclectic DVD collection ;-) BTW what is it that you do in France?

Karl

Reply to
Karl

Not much at the momment. Hope to get a job next month when its a bit cooler its 52°C in the sun here :-(

Reply to
Marty

Fair enough then. I'd be interested to know what is in the head-set apart from the bolts. I was thinking about £3-£5 each for the bolts.

--

puzzles me!

Reply to
David

my son then came in saying

this being the I4 engine, separating the cam chain etc in readiness to lift the head is not as simple as with the pinto. Get a workshop manual or haynes, and read it through a few times, to avoid tears and do NOT drop the chain down into the sump whilst your doing the job. You have to take off the sump if this happens, which on the Sierra means you have to lift the lump a fair way to get it off.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

I'd have expected a head set to have every gasket and seal (inc. valve stem) from the head gasket up - head gasket, inlet (inlet/head and carb/manifold), exhaust (manifold/head and manifold/downpipe), rocker cover (inc any seals on nuts/bolts) to list the main ones. I wouldn't expect bolts in the kit.

Peter Hill