automatic wiping on 206

Hi, The windscreen wiper setting on my 206 is set automatic on a permanent basis. When it rains the wipers do not automatically wipe the windscreen, I need to change the wiper setting from Automatic to 0 (off) and then back to Automatic. Once I have done this, it automatically wipe the windscreen. If I switch the car off and on again, and drive in the rain, the wipers do not automatically wipe the windscreen I need to change the wiper setting from again from Automatic to 0 (off) and then back to Automatic. Is this normal or is it defective.

Thanks, David Reid

Reply to
David Reid

That's how my wife's 306 works and that is how the hand book describes it.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

And that is how it should be. Otherwise there is a risk of wiping/scratching e.g. sandy dry windscreens.

Reply to
Joe Soap

I thought there was a few different systems fitted to Peugeots & Citroens, Arnt the multiplexed Pugs ment to automaticly wipe the screen with no input from the driver?

The pre facelift ( Non multiplex) 406s & all the 306s would need the stalk setting to auto after starting the engine to work the wipers, But the later

406 & most of the newer Pugs just wipe away as soon as it rains.

Now some 206s are multiplexed & some early ones are not.

I would check with your Pug dealer about the operation of the rain sensor wiper system your 206 has fitted to it & what it should be doing.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

In news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com, Lee Power via CarKB.com , typed something a little like this (allegedly):

Had it on both versions. They do wipe automatically, but after you perform a reset to start. The theory is that if the windscreen is frozen and the blades are stuck to it, it will not break things when the sensor says it need wiping.

You can also do a quick flick as if you wanted water on the screen. If you do it quick and gently enough no water will spray, but the wipers will reset back to auto mode

Reply to
Terrytubby

Perfectly normal, as it tells you in the owner's manual.

If it were fully automatic at all times, then what do you think would happen in winter when the wipers were frozen up ?

Reply to
Nom

My Mk1 406 does the same thing, it's to stop the wiper arm breaking off on a very frosty morning, as my old boss once did on his Vectra. Indecently, can I ask if you are happy with the automatic operation? I find you have to have just the right sort of rain and conditions otherwise it gets a bit annoying!

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

It's crap. I would much rather have plain old intermittent wipe, preferably with a 'rate' knob, but even single rate would be better.

Maybe in a few years they will have got the bugs out of it.

Reply to
Joe Soap

My 306 did that and so does my new 407!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Dixon

Hi, The workshop manager at a Peugeot dealership said that my rainsensor is faulty and needs replacement, so I just thought that it is supposed to automatically wipe when it rains.

Thaks

Reply to
David Reid

Hi, I am happy with the wiping intervals so far, but then again I only had the car for over 3 weeks and it hardly ever rains here. And I will not have a problem with frost since it hardly ever happens, only had littlebit frost once on my windscreen, about 5 years ago!

Reply to
David Reid

Er, it is supposed to automatically wipe when it rains !

Read your owners manual - it explains exactly how the system works, and how and why you need to switch it OFF auto mode, and then back ON again, to use auto mode if you've turned the ignition off.

Reply to
Nom