Brakes failing on 1974 504D

Hi. I live in the US.

I took my beloved 1974 504D four door to the local gas station mechanic, after the brake pedal began to get a bit stiff and the brakes stopped working as well as they should (to the point where it would take 2 or 3 times as long in terms of distance to come to a stop).

The mechanic does not get any other Peugeot's besides mine, but has worked on mine before. He said he thinks the "air pressure" pump is failing and I need to buy a new one from Paris.

Someone else (over Internet) has told me that it needs a "vacuum pump". Someone at a Peugeot parts store in Spain (who I reached through a friend that lives there) said that it actually needs a "replacement water pump" (that doesn't make ANY sense).

Any ideas/suggestions?

Jerome

Reply to
Paraguay2

Hello,

From what you wrote above, it may well be the vacuum pump, used to create the depression for the powerbraking (aka Mastervac). First check the belt (and I assume it's OK) and the couple of pipes. Then look for a pump.

HTH,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

May be he needs a water pump for his car and your going to pay for it hahahaha

Reply to
Chris

Hi,

Eeer, well, no, I won't pay for that :-) I guess there was a misunderstanding between "vacuum" and "water", or something. I'll add this kind of vacuum pumps (belt-driven & membrane type) was very common because the only one type fit until the beginning of the 90's, which doesn't make it easier to source in northern America - though being the same than on 505's, which was the most sold Pug in the USA*.

  • and even the very first TD ever produced were reserved for export in the USA, partly because of the NYC & LA cabs market won by the 505 TD in 1979, resulting in something like 5-6k units. May well be one of, if not the cause for the EPA rules change in 1983, too.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

In the UK the membrane (diaphragm) was available as a spare part - not difficult to change and cheap.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Hi,

It seems it was the case in France too, the fixing kit (membrane, bolts and some other stuff) was available at least at Pug's under P/N 4599.11 (for models until Jan 1984) or 4599.24 (beyond 01/84).

Il could well be a pain to source in the US, though.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

Possibly best to source it in Europe esp France/UK. Posting it to US should be cheap enough.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It seems that this was a belt-drive vacuum pump after all. I was able to convince a friend of mine to purchase this part. I left it with the mechanic this morning -- hopefully it will not cost too much to actually do the work.

Now I am left with possibly replacing the "seals" in the engine and/or oil pan, as the car is leaking about a quart of oil per week. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Paraguay2

Check the leak is not from the oil pressure switch. I have had several leak on different cars.

Reply to
Keith W