pug 306 seems to die whilst driving.

Hi all I have a 306 1.8 16v 1997 r reg. When you start it up its fine but when driving it can suddenly lose power whenever it feels like , and usually once this starts it idles irrationally.So far I have used redex which didn't do much but I've been told to change the plugs , leads and fuel filter.To try and put it another way. When your driving along with you're foot on the throttle it will suddenly feel as if you've turned off the engine , but if you wait a couple of seconds it will rectify itself. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
pugboyracer

i had a similar problem with my 1999 406 hdi not sure if the 306 is the same but here goes. It would lose power and the revs would drop down to tick over no matter what you did with the accelerator pedal (great fun when you are pulling out from a junction or overtaking). It took over a month to work out what it was. In the end it turned out to be the brake light switch above the brake pedal. This meant that the brake lights would come on even when not actually braking, this in turn meant that the ecu thought that the brake and accelerator had been pressed at the same time so it would shut off the revs down to tick over until the brake pedal switch turned off again.

Hope this helps GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

Reply to
puboyracer via CarKB.com

Reply to
puboyracer via CarKB.com

Could this be the dreaded corroded earth lead raising its ugly head again? Wouldn't be a bad idea to check this and the battery connections as well while you are about it.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R N Robinson

Plug leads or intermittent coil pack perhaps?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin