Bulbs blowing

Hi,

I believe I have a strange electrical fault on my peugeot 406 HDI Rapier, 2002.

Twice within the last 6 months I have had to replace both dipped beam bulbs. On both occasions both bulbs failed at EXACTLY the same time - on starting the engine. The auto-light feature should turn the lights on automatically, but neither come on. Checking the bulbs shows that the filaments are open circuit.

Any ideas, anyone?

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

Could be over voltage, use a digital voltmeter (less than a fiver from a cheap shop) and check that the battery voltage is about 14 when the engine is running at 2000 revs per min. It should be reasonably steady.

Over 14.5 is definatly too high even for a moment.

Less than 13.5 is low unless you have a heavy load on or have only just started up or have a flat battery. Check again without a heavy load or after a few mins charge.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

autolight feature ????

am i missing something ?

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I think he means the clever gadget that turns the lights on when it gets dark. My early 406 uses the more reliable method of "driver can't see". ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

ahh, mines a 2001 so i guess it came in after

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff -"Autolight feature" = possibly clumsy way of saying the Automatic Lighting - you know, when it gets dark, the lights automatically come on.

Alec - Thanks for the tip. Am I correct in thinking that all electrics are supplied from the battery rather than the alternator, and that the alternator is simply there to charge the battery?

Also, I should point out that as regards over-voltage none of the other bulbs have blown. I agree that there must be some sort of long-term "spike" of over voltage produced somewhere.

I have just (today) replaced both bulbs, I'll make a note of the date and see how long these last! Could just be some bizarre coincidence, but the odds must be tremendous.

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

"Neil" wrote

I have just replaced both my dip bulbs ( one had failed ) and whilst doing a search to find which type it was I came across a couple of references to both bulbs failing more or less together.

btw due to work commitments I got mine from halfrauds and when I offered my debit card they just amputated a couple of limbs :-(

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hi Jeff, where were these references?

This set, and the last, were from Halfords - £15 the pair (477's). May be worth my while splashing out on some more expensive bulbs next time, the last lot did not last long -

Reply to
Neil

In principle you are correct, all electrics are fed from the battery which is in turn charged by the alternator when the engine is running.

The alternator is permanently connected to the battery. (even when the ignition is off)

If the alternator is faulty then excess voltage can reach everything.

There have been problems with lamp failure on some makes of car following the introduction of the newer BUS wiring systems. Commonly the brake lights.

Personally in a case like this I would buy new bulbs from the local Lucas service depot, they are usually very good for any of the Lucas, Bosch, Girling, CAV items. The last time I bought brake shoes they were one third of the Peugeot price for the identical (Girling) item.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

dunno now it was a google groups search, but I did change both, bought the super dooper extreme thingys at about £17 on BOGOF , thought it was worth the extra 2 quid over the normal ones especially as I had found a place that does normal bulbs at £20 for 10

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff