peugeot 406 hdi abs problem

This is a strange one! The abs light has been coming on intermiittently on my peugeot 406 hdi lx estate (x reg. 2000, vin vf38frhz). Nine times out of ten it comes on in the same section of road, approx 3 miles from my house, mainly when I'm driving away but sometimes when I'm coming back. The abs does not appear to be working when the light comes on (i tried an emergency stop on a quiet stretch and the brakes locked; they do not do that when the abs light is off). If I stop the engine after the light has come on and then turn the ignition key to position I, I get an 'ABS fault' message that disappears when I turn it all the way and start the engine (and the abs light does not come on then, at least not until I go over the same stretch of road).

The other thing I've noticed is that sometimes at low speeds when I apply the brakes they seem to pulse on and off and it feels really strange through the brake pedal, like it's on ice (although there isn't any!), and it doesn't pull up efficiently. This only happens when the abs light is off, so it may be unconnected to the other problem.

I guess I should take it to my local Peugeot dealer for a Diag2000 scan. I'm not very confident about them though. I've tried them twice before for other problems. The first time they told me that no faults had been found. When I asked for a print out they gave me one that was nothing more than half a page of A4 with 8 headings (BSI, display, radio etc, no OBD codes). The second time, they said they couldn't give me a printout because the printer wasn't working. They wrote down a couple of lines, again no obd codes. Could anyone tell me what I should be getting for my money?

Finally, will the abs problem be stored in the computer or will all trace be erased when I restart my car and the abs warning goes off? I don't want to pay for a diag if there's no trace of anything to diagnose! Thanks in anticipation Neil

Reply to
neild

Neil

I have a similar problem with the ABS on my 406 in that it sometimes feels like it's braking on ice at low speeds on perfectly dry roads. It appears to be caused by broken phonic rings on both driveshafts (this is a toothed ring that the ABS sensor reads). The rings should encircle the driveshaft completely but on my car both have splits in them which probably fool the ABS into thinking that the wheel has locked. I haven't had this sorted yet so can't confirm whether it's definitely the source of the problem but it may be worth you checking these.

Regards

Marc

Reply to
Marc Barbour

[...]

Thanks, Marc, I'm going to check out the rings this afternoon and report back.

Neil

---------------------- Marc Barbour wrote:

Reply to
neild

Thanks, Marc, I'm going to check out the rings this afternoon and report back.

Neil

---------------------- Marc Barbour wrote:

Reply to
neild

Both front rings are split and loose on the hub. Haven't checked the rears yet. Does anybody know the procedure for changing the rings?

Regards

Neil

neild

According to my Peugeot dealer, to replace the abs rings I'd have to get complete driveshafts, but I know that 406 cv joints with rings are available elsewhere. Does anybody here know if there's a reason why replacing just the cv joints on a 406 should be avoided?

Thanks

Neil.

Reply to
neild

Because it eats into Peugeot Dealers profits? ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

So the rings are loose on the shafts? Can you not slide the rings along the shaft enough to clean the shaft down to bare metal, then a coat of araldite, and slide the ring back. Then put a hose clip round it and tighten, leavng it for a day for it all to harden, then remove. Should hold the ring in place and probably hold the cracked bit together too. At best you will save a packet, at worst you have lost a bit of araldite and a few hours work.

Reply to
Brian