Buying used 406 diesel - tips?

Hi,

I've just joined this forum - I am UK (London) based and I'm lookin for advise on buying a used Pug diesel. I currently have a worn-out ol Rover 820 that I am looking to replace with a similar sized family-car but want a diesel for fuel economy.

Any advice on what models/years to go for/avoid would be very helpful Also known problems to watch out for etc.

I looked at a Pug 406 GTX HDi 90 with 64k miles on it for £3k, but th boot seemed a bit smaller than what I am used to (especially th openning) so maybe the estate is the one to go for? Seemed a bi gutless in 1st and 2nd - maybe because I am used to a petrol engine?

I have £3-4k to spend. Should I go for the 100bhp in preference to th

90bhp? How about the HPi engine? I read somehere that the HDi engines seem prone to head-gasket failur at high mileage - is that true? Is the Executive the top-level trim in the UK?

Also, some specific questions: -

  1. What is the service interval for these engines - I have read 6,000
10,00 and 12,000 miles all quoted?
  1. When is the cam belt scheduled for change on an HDi is it 96,000?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Denni

-- dszuber

----------------------------------------------------------------------- dszubert's Profile:

this thread:

dszubert

That's because it *was* gutless - 90bhp isn't enough to shift a 406 :)

You need to be looking for the 136bhp 2.2 HDi engine really.

Executive is among the top-spec cars, yes. As above, look for the 136bhp 2.2 HDi. The higher-powered 2.0 HDi makes 110bhp, but that's still a piffling amount.

Can't answer those I'm afraid - you need someone to look in their owners manual. It changes with year too - the later cars have longer intervals.

Reply to
Nom

Hdi's have a service interval of 12,000 miles and the cambelt is done at 96,000 miles. Recommend the auxilliary belt is done at the same time.

Reply to
nigel