Will the MI16 fit into a 305 van?

Is it possible to fit an MI16 lump under the bonnet of a MK2 305 Van? I?ve recently looked into buying one, but will want more power out of it if I do decide to buy it.

If the MI16 is unsuitable, are there any other engines that are suitable. Will the BE-type gearbox mate to the MI16 without hiccups?

Lastly, obviously the van will handle like a bag of sick when pushed, so what can I do to the suspension to change this.

Reply to
Smiffo

Hi,

I'm pretty dubtious about the exhaust manifold. Many wiring too, to fit the ECU, but it doesn't seem impossible, considering that Chris has already done it (he was starting from a GTX, IIRC and fit a SRi (XU9J2 (D6A)) head & injection). I guess he'll write more if he reads that.

Sure, as the Mi16 lump is a XU block, so a BE is just the way to go. Perhaps you could have some problems when trying to fit a BE3 (gear linkage), but I'm not really sure about that.

The XU9J2 (D6A) will fit in, too. I don't advise you to buy a D6B (XU9JA) block, 'cause it has a little less torque (but 5HP more than the 'J2).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I know a guy who fitted a turbo diesel engine from a 405 I think (IIRC) - he'd had it tuned and I believe had fitted uprated shocks front and back. Now, from a different chap I know - he lowered his 305 saloon with the aid of 205 shocks and stiffened springs, apparently it handles very well now although I haven't seen it in action. So, you should have plenty of suspension options up front - the rear is a bit different, but you might be able to find something like 306 rear suspension will fit.

Finally, I've fitted fuel injection to my 305 GTX so it should be putting out around 125bhp (same as the 205 GTi) - tbh that's plenty of power unless you're hauling something really heavy. I do believe an Mi16 engine should fit, though - that would be next on my list should the XU9 engine I have give out on me. It fits in a 205's engine bay, so I see no reason why it shouldn't fit into a 305 van's engine bay. IIRC I think ecosse did something like that some years ago now. You should find any BE gearbox will fit - the only thing I'm not sure about is if the 305's driveshafts will still fit in the same (they should do!) .. and even 205 or 405 brakes should fit on easy enough.

HTH,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

I forgot about the manifold in my other post - indeed it could be a problem, however IIRC the Mi16 needs to be mounted at a slightly different angle to a standard XU engine - it should tilt further back I think? Therefore, if the lower engine mount is modified correctly (and possibly the mount under the battery tray as well), the exhaust manifold might clear the bulkhead. Of course, in the 205 GTi, I think some bodywork modification is required. There is also the possibility of getting something made up to fit - if the Mi16 manifold will fit on, maybe just a different shape downpipe would be required. On the wiring - I don't think it's too much hassle if you get some proper wiring schematics for the actual ECU systems (rather than anything useless in the Haynes manual). You can get away without using the static ignition - you can buy a conversion kit which allows you to use a standard 205/405 GTi/etc distributor cap.. although I would rather put the whole electronic system in from the Mi16, as it'll most likely run better.

I'm inclined to think that just about any BE box should fit (although you're right about the gear linkages being different), the only exception possibly being the 306 GTi6 'box - which is 6 speed and is physically longer, which might obstruct your steering if nothing else (although again, I'd probably try it if I got a 6-speed box!).

The 305 is not a particularly heavy car - even in it's heaviest form as the GTX, it weighs in at 1050kg, which to me seems quite light for a relatively big car. The Mi16 would be a fun thing to put in, but it may be overkill and you really would need to uprate everything. I'd even think about trying to get some rear discs off a 306 or something to see if they could fit.

The simplest route to more power would be the XU9J2. Works fine in my car! ;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Hi Chris good to see you here again

must say that my 305 van passed the MOT yesterday without so much as a flaw ( not even the usual broken tailplate lights) so there is another year of happy motoring, although some twatt drove in the left front wing the other week and i still have to repair that

the 305 van suspension differs on may way's to the one of a saloon so putting a 306 suspension in would be difficult i guess

shawn had put Spax shocks in and the front disc's of the 405 donor car ( straight swap) and then tuned up the engine to a very dangerous 150 BHP. this is the time i'd say a rollcage could be beneficial to the well being of you family as you sure will leave them behind without

Reply to
Marc

Hi Marc,

Glad to hear your van is still going strong! My 305 has been off the road for a year whilst I drove around in a Porsche

924, which I have now sold and bought a Porsche 944! But, a week ago, I drove it out of the undercover car park I left it at and gave it a wash. It still drove fine after a year, however after only two or three miles, the radiator started leaking!

Here's some pics:

It'll be back on the road properly soon!

Yes, however the 306 (at least the hatchback) suspension is similar in design to that of the 305.. I think the shocks may fit, although I might be wrong.

I agree. Apparently the 305 was a very safe car, when it was launched in

1977 and only had something like 70bhp maximum!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

looking fine! i must say that mine looks pretty banged up, got to find the time , place and funds to do a rebuild, bodywork respray etc

probably a much smoother ride than a 944....

Reply to
Marc

Hi Chris,

Mmmm, I see you still have some taste for common cars :-) BTW, what about the RX-7 ?

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi Chris,

Yes, appart from the linkage, any BEx/4 or /5 should fit. I guess the BE1 retrofit to a car engineered for a BE3 causes huge clearance into gear selection (saying that from experience, with my brother's DTurbo which now has a BE1/5).

True, the GTi6 gearbox (S16 here), is slightly longer (although it's a BE3 series). I guess it should fit to a 305, considering a XU is set on the right of the engine bay, and the 305 bay shouldn't be smaller than the 306 (not measured myself, just a thought).

True, but I think the torque lost for these extra 5HP may give a kind of uncomfy ride ("damn I have to change gear again").

Mmmm, not necessary, but a good set of discs (vented discs) at front could well be a way to go.

You made it, the fuel-injected 305 that Pug never built :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi,

Yup, but with 125 or 130HP (if using a 'JA) the 305 should be able to overtake some "said sporty and superior" cars like VW Golf Mk4 GTi (I even don't consider the Mk1 and 2, Pug having built cars to fix them on the road). And yes, I hate Golfs, that's life. Having said that, must be great fun to pass a Golf GTi, and the VW's drivers to think "what the f#ck is that car, damn I still have so many months to pay for this pile of crap" ;-)

My brother used to have great fun with Golf TDi90 drivers that way ;-)

Oh, BTW, fitting a Mi16 block into a 305, please allow me to call it suicide !

160HP to pull a 305, perhaps it would tear the body appart under hard accel :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I've overtaken some far better looking cars in that 305. I think the best, though, was a little Citroen Saxo - it had a body kit like it was a fast one, but of course I can't tell for certain. The guy driving it furiously tried to keep up with me along a dual carriageway as he wanted to overtake - I could see his car shaking with every gearchange! Alas, it was in vain as I went up through the gears and he disappeared in my mirror.. a couple of miles down the road, I turned off up a slip road and he went sailing past - some woman in the passenger seat looking me directly in the eye as I laughed heartily.

I know, I know.. it should in no way be enjoyable to have a stupid race with another car.... but... yeah it was fun ;)

You know, the Porsche is nowhere near as much fun, as the only people who try to race me have much faster cars.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

I'll be back in that 305 more often soon ;)

We still have the RX-7 (just fitted a powerflow stainless steel exhaust system - it's LOUD!), although I'm not insured on it anymore - so I don't drive it. When I get a bit of money maybe I'll get re-insured... first I have to work on the 305, and the 944 needs a respray!!!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Hi,

I have nothing against Porsche's, BTW.

With the Wankel turbo must be loud but so good !

What coulour will you apply, then ? Dark blue ? As I said, I just don't have any reason to split on Porsche's - I've just been disappointed by recent ones, too posh, no sporty anymore. The 944, and even more 924s are the only one Porsche I could really afford and service. Damn I just missed a '84 GTi 105HP !

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi,

Sorry I first sent it by e-mail, wrong button pressed.

Well, the fastest cars often are the most discrete. Driving muppets don't deserve a race against me :-)

Yeah, it's fun. The speedcamera is far less :-/ I haven't played that much, certainly 'cause a 205D has its limits, but still, I remember having drove up to 170KPH (105MPH) downhill on a motorway, and so kept behind a Laguna2 which was stuck to my ass up to 160KPH.

I can imagine that. No fun anymore :-) I have a video in this PC's hardrive which shows a 0-180KPH with a 944S2, damn' that's violent, 15 seconds are enough !

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

"Smiffo" wrote: > Is it possible to fit an MI16 lump under the bonnet of a MK2 > 305 Van? I've recently looked into buying one, but will want > more power out of it if I do decide to buy it. > > If the MI16 is unsuitable, are there any other engines that > are suitable. > Will the BE-type gearbox mate to the MI16 without hiccups? > > Lastly, obviously the van will handle like a bag of sick when > pushed, so what can I do to the suspension to change this.

right simple answer no it wont. it might fit in the engine bay but you will have endless greif with everything else as all mi16 conversions were done on 205 gti. so in kind dont waste your time nor money.

Reply to
mememe