Christine lives

If you remember the film Chistine then I think my 406 has the same condition. The car has mind of its own. Cruesing at 50-60 then the car suddenly takes off by its self up to 5000rpm on the rev counter. Also when at traffic lights the car lurches forward and it take a lot of brake power to slow and stall the engine.

Reply to
brian.denwood

Which engine? DaveK

Reply to
davek

My 406 does this, it's a 2.1TD LX estate...

Any Ideas.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Reply to
brian.denwood

Sticky throttle, have you checked/replaced the cable?

Reply to
Longshot

Exorcism?

Reply to
Keith

Took the "Christine" to the Puegeot main dealer for a diagnostic check up, and in1 hour the verdict was a faulty "Stepper motor", what ever that is, cost £28.. Parts quotted at £85 and £57 labour. I said thanks but no thank you, went to Halfords bought a Hayes workshop manual and stripped the part (easy) . The Stepper motor was seized so I took it apart cleaned and oiled and reasembled. It took 1/2 hour to do, and now "Christine" is now as gentle as a pussy cat. Brian

Reply to
brian.denwood

Above link to another auto forum, describing the exact same problems as you guys caused by probs with the stepper motor.

"Sometimes it works temporarily to strip and clean the motor"

Apparently the problem is caused by wear on a plastic 'shim' piece in the stepper motor causing it to seize and give erratic idle.

Reply to
Longshot

It turned out to be a stepper motor problem....cost £37 to strip and clean Brian

Reply to
brian.denwood