exhast and catalytic converter - pug delaership prices

Hi just put my 406 HDi 51 plate 132K into pug dealer for service. They just phoned and told me back box on exhast has a hole in it, but it is the part that has the cat converter inside - quoted me 700 pounds.....any advice on price would be appreciated because it seems a huge amount to pay considering theres probably nothing wrong with the cat coverter itself. They also mention hand brake cables are corroded and want another 175quid to replace.....i told them to leave it all (cant afford that kind of money!)........ pug dealership isnt the most helpful of places but ive always had it serviced there.....im not sure i should go ahead with this work tho.......any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Dave

Go to a site called pug spares they are very helpful, that is if you are in the u,k,rear box u can fit your self with just a couple of spanners. hand brake cables are very easy to do as well. just take your time with any job ,

Reply to
Chris

There was a thread on here a while back in which it was generally agreed that the cat converter is not actually required on diesel engines in the UK. I believe a number of people have simply had a length of pipe welded in place of it.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Are you sure they have got it right? On both the HDI vehicles I have had, the back box is just a silencer, the cat convertor is a mid box, just behind the engine. It has to be close to the engine, as it has to run hot to work, and the back box is too far away. If it is just a small hole in the back box, then you can easily do a cheap repair for the time being with gun gum or similar. The box containing the cat is highly unlikely to have been holed in this short time, unless some phisical damage has occurred. The 406 HDI might also have the particle filter in the cat box, which will have a small pipe going to it for the cleaning fluid.

Reply to
Brian

i'm just going off what peugeot told me on the phone, im not 100% they said rear box, you know what these conversations are like, they (the receptionist!) reel of a list of things thats wrong with my car and i try and keep up!! But they definately said its the part of exhast with the cat in....they said its not much labour costs as only takes an hour but the parts are very expensive. The plot thickens because i took it to ATS in jan for its MOT and they said exhast was blowing and would cost 180pounds to fix (so i was expecting peugeot to mention it but wasnt expecting 700quid!). Its not making any loud blowing noises or anything....what happens when it goes...does it just fall off??

thanks again for everyones help....much appreciated.

Reply to
Dave

Wait till it fulls off then fit new one your self..

Reply to
Chris