Grinding noise brakes 406

Hi First thing after moving a grinding noise comes from the right hand rear wheel drum when the brake pedal is pressed.Took it to the garage he said it was a load old dust that gather up occasionally causing the noise.He stripped it and cleaned it with no further bother,now after four months it's back.I don't want to keep going to garage,anyone know if this is the cause and can I blow it out or clean it.Car is 1998 1.8 petrol 406.Appreciate any help.

Reply to
Hotspur

this can be common with certain types of brake shoes, manufacturers are no longer allowed to use asbestos, and sometimes the substitutes they use can be very harsh against the metal drum, if you look closely at a new set of brake shoes you will see all kinds of materials bonded into the friction material...copper, bronze etc etc... if the problem is re-occuring then replace the shoes but try to ensure a decent set are fitted, ferodo, blueprint etc etc... if the shoes are built with very coarse materials, they will still do the job, but they may leave much larger dust particals etc will will give you that "grinding" sound.

Reply to
steve

[snip] thanks for the info,cars are not my thing so all advice gratefully taken.thanks again it's useful to know.Regards Frank
Reply to
Hotspur