how does air flow sensor work?

Can someone tell me how an air flow sensor works

Part two:

Does it follow that if all the input and output voltages are correct then the circuit must be fault free?

Thanks

species8350

Hi,

The simplest AFMs (Air Flow Meter) work with a flap into the inlet manifold, or into the AFM ass'y. The flap's position is determined by the air flow. This flap is mechanically "linked" to a potentiometer, so the voltage output is given by a formula like AirFlow=V_airflow. V_Airflow is given by k*airflow, where k is a constant. I guess that the pot is usually supplied at 12V, so min airflow = 0 and max airflow=12V. There may be an offset too, but that's took by the ECU.

More modern AFMs are built with a platinum wire heating a set of resistors. The resistors are kept at a constant temperature by the heating wire, and considering the voltage applied to the platinum wire you can deduce the air flow. There, it's a bit more complex as we're talking about a servo-control, but come on, electronics engineers are there to achieve that :-)

Yes, IMHO. Could you tell us a bit more about what you're looking for ? Could you describe your problem, car type and year ? We've got many knowledgeable people here which could well help you.

HTH, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T