Installation of new audio system 406 coupe

Recently bought a 406 coupe V6 ( '99 model 194 bhp ). I want to change the audio system to the Alpine mp3 head unit and mp3 changer which I had bought for my previous car.

The local audio fitter said that it was a none standard fit and they would have to rewire, taking 4 hours and around £ 150 for their trouble. I was looking in the cars hand book and the diagrams of the block connectors seam OK to my untrained eye, One block has 8 connectors for the speakers, the other block has phone mute, plus aerial supply (+) , earth, etc, ..

Surely if I did it my self it would be just a matter of linking peugeot end to the ISO connector of the Alpine... Would this work or is their some sort of reason why its a little more complicated than this.

The Peugeot radio is a type 4050 The Alpine is model 7893R

Many many thanks, any help or ideas will be gratefully received.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Ramsden

It should just plug in, its probly very similar to a 206 i did the other day, all plugged straight in, except instead of connecting red to red and yellow to yellow, i had to connect red to yellow and yellow to red to get it to keep the memory alive. It was a Sony unit, obviously sony use 1 colour for permanent feed and pug use another. It should be perfectly easy to do it yourself, just plug it straight in, ignore the audio people. At worst you may have to go to halfords and buy a connector for £15, still a lot cheaper tho :)

Reply to
Dan405

Why don't you have a go and try fitting it yourself, No point paying someone £150 for just unplugging your old system and then plugging your new one in. I bought a new CD player for my car and was told it would cost £70 to have it fitted by an "audio technician" due to the fact it was not a standard fit .I did it myself for nothing just by unplugging the original stereo unit and plugging in my new one.

Reply to
Mike

U just buyt the converter leads, no need to cut any wires, around £40 i think. U just plug in, takes 10 secs.

Reply to
Cheater2k

Thanks guys

I've always used the same audio fitting place before and it usually costs me 1 hours labour, but this time the guy said that this radio had its componants in the right wing or somewhere and thats where the extra work was, but all that seems to be different is the non standard block connector(s).

4 Hours labour .. what a rip off , I don't care if it takes me 40 hours, I'll do it myself, I suppose the tricky bit will be the CD/MP3 changer, I'm going to put it in the same place as the factory fitted one.. In the rear wing void, Fiddely but worth it, and out of the way.

.. Tony

Reply to
Tony Ramsden

Tony,

As a Professional car audio Installer myself, I advise that you go back to the shop and bitch slap the guy that told you it would cost that much, in fact tell me where it is and I will do it for you..... !

-- Deviant Devanti

Reply to
Deviant Devanti