IR-remote. Battery life

Hi all.

I have a 97' 406 est. Whenever I replace the batteries in the remote key (IR) it will lock/unlock the car as it is supposed to do. The red piolot LED is flashing. However, the batteries only last for two days. The third day the remote is dead, and led dark. No visual IR- light from bulb (when watched through digital camara). Any idea what causes this. I tried several replacements (batteries) and I don't think they all were bad right from the (different) boxes. The key has not been in a pocket/next to anything magnetic for the two days, just laying on a shelf. Could it be shorted, even if it is working properly for a few days?

Thanks.

Fredrik.

Reply to
frogstar

My wife's 306 has the exact same problem but in this instance there are three keys affected. I asked the question on this group some time ago and the answer came back that this is a known problem with the IR keys.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

So I guess I'll just have to live with it, then? Will open it again this evening and clean the electric thingymagic with an el. spray.

- Fredrik

Reply to
frogstar

Well, our 1998 306 with IR key has lasted since 2001 (when we got it) without needing any new batteries.

After saying that, I bet it'll now stop working!

David Hearn

I have owned a 97' 406 sedan from new and have never changed the IR remote battery, so I suspect that your problem is the result of excessive battery drain, possibly resulting from moisture inside key electromics.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

I had the same problem with my Xantia key. It would only work for a few days then give up the ghost. My 406 however must have a radio key as it works even when in my pocket and seems to last quite well as I replaced thebatteries a few months ago and it's been fine since. With the Xantia I just gave up and used it as a normal key.

Reply to
malc

Hi

We had the same problem with a 306 IR fob. New batteries would last for a few days then go flat. At first I thought I'd just picked up some duff batteries, but apparently, it's a common problem with the fobs as they get old and means that the remote key has had it.

I bought a replacement off eBay (for about £10-15), changed the key blade and had it re-programmed by a local car alarm/key technician. There's a guide to how to do it with the IR type fobs at the link below - but although many posters said how good it was, for some reason, it didn't work for me.

Hope this helps

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

This is a known problem with these older plips. From my investigation, the little switch inside will be faulty, and not be totally diconnecting when not depressed. I have checked the resitance across the contacts on mine to confirm this. I have read some time ago, of people replacing the little press switch with a new one from somewhere, but the details I no longer have. I would do same to mine if I could.

Reply to
Brian

I cleaned my remote up with some crc spray thingy. Maybe this was enough to bretahe some life into it again... It's going on its second week now (knocking some wood over here) and still does what it's supposed to do. Two weeks is a new record anyhow...

- Fx

Reply to
frogstar