406 remote key - again!

Hi,

I?ve spent the past few months trying in vain to get a remote locking fob for my 406 (1996).

My dealer refuses to assist me in any way, so speaking to another garage, plus advice on here I?ve done a bit of digging around in the car.

I have an aftermarket key at present, with no remote. I?ve checked the headlining near the courtesy mirror, there?s nothing there. I?ve removed the glovebox, and using the Haynes manual as a guide, I think I?ve located what may be the remote receiver behind an access panel.

The unit in question was the upper of the units, is black, marked with a Valeo ELE brand, followed by a number, then "K6 - Made in UK", then followed by a barcode. I?ve taken down all the details and have taken a photo of the unit out of the vehicle.

Have I located the remote receiver, or is it looking like I?m going to have to keep digging? If it is, what details do I need to give to the dealer to pull his finger out and get the thing ordered? And what else should I be aware of?

Any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
dazza12

"dazza12" wrote: > Hi, > > I've spent the past few months trying in vain to get a remote > locking fob for my 406 (1996). > > My dealer refuses to assist me in any way, so speaking to > another garage, plus advice on here I've done a bit of digging > around in the car. > > I have an aftermarket key at present, with no remote. I've > checked the headlining near the courtesy mirror, there's > nothing there. I've removed the glovebox, and using the Haynes > manual as a guide, I think I've located what may be the remote > receiver behind an access panel. > > The unit in question was the upper of the units, is black, > marked with a Valeo ELE brand, followed by a number, then "K6 > - Made in UK", then followed by a barcode. I've taken down all > the details and have taken a photo of the unit out of the > vehicle. > > Have I located the remote receiver, or is it looking like I'm > going to have to keep digging? If it is, what details do I > need to give to the dealer to pull his finger out and get the > thing ordered? And what else should I be aware of? > > Any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Does your blob of plastic start the car?. If yes the car has no immo cicuit in key. The original key only contains a remote locker. I suggest taking your car to another dealer with the instruction. "supply new remote key". The whole deal will be done for about £70, you seem to have spent that in time already looking for the answer yourself. T.

Reply to
Tonyh

"Tonyh" wrote: > Does your blob of plastic start the car?. If yes the car has > no immo cicuit in key. The original key only contains a remote > locker. > I suggest taking your car to another dealer with the > instruction. "supply new remote key". The whole deal will be > done for about £70, you seem to have spent that in time > already looking for the answer yourself. > T.

Just been to another Peugeot dealer in another town, who have looked up my chassis number on Laser, and have confirmed that the part behind the glovebox is indeed the remote receiver.

They?ve told me that to supply a fob/key, they will need to supply a new receiver as they are apparently only available as a matched set - ie receiver, and two remotes. For that (and that is with me fitting it myself) they?ve quoted £300 plus VAT!

Anybody know if what they?ve told me is indeed true? At least this dealer appears to be more helpful, but I get the feeling they?re trying to maximise the amount they can get from me.

Reply to
dazza12

From what I can remember about these early 406s, the immobiliser part is in the keypad. So the key just opens the car and turns the ignition, if the keypad is set. You can make the key work the keypad, so you don't have to enter the 4 digit code. But first you need the plip key, and there lies the problem. When the car was new, it had 2 keys. If you opened them up, inside is a small piece of paper with a code number on it and the word "pri" for primary, or "sec" for secondary. this number is needed to order a key to work with the receiver in the car. You have no original key and therefore no code number to order any. So the second dealer is correct. There is a faint hope that if you can get into your receiver there may be the code printed on a small tag somewhere. I have never had to do that so I don't really know. If there is then you can order 1 or 2 keys from that, otherwise you need a new receiver as well. Hope that is clear.

Reply to
nigel

If it is the original receiver with the car you can order a key on the chassisnr.

Did that in Holland some years ago... Also if you have a used key you can change the code with some resoldering. Just find a datasheet of the receiver-transmitter IC wich is the same in the transmitter and receiver.

greetings Aat

"dazza12" schreef in bericht news:1_665297 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com...

Reply to
Aat van den Bos

Hi,

That was true with 1st gen of IR systems based on TEA5500, but I don't know for more up-to-date systems.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

"" wrote: > On 8 Sep 2005 13:42:46 -0400, dazza12 > > wrote: > > >"Tonyh" wrote: > > > Does your blob of plastic start the car?. If yes the car > has > > > no immo cicuit in key. The original key only contains a > remote > > > locker. > > > I suggest taking your car to another dealer with the > > > instruction. "supply new remote key". The whole deal will > be > > > done for about £70, you seem to have spent that in time > > > already looking for the answer yourself. > > > T. > >

So the code is for the receiver + 2 fob set? So there?s no way at all for Peugeot to obtain a code from what I already have?

What format (ie length etc) are the codes normally? There?s information printed on the outside of the receiver, however I?ll take it out again this weekend and take a look inside to check if there?s another code.

Am I correct in thinking that there?s a possibility that if I got a receiver and set of fobs from a breakers it will work? (Obviously with the correct key blades for my car). There?s a breakers near me with several 406?s, if this is possible I may pay them a visit.

I?m trying to avoid having to pay a huge amount for a set of keys. At some point I?ve got to get a key as the one I?ve got is wearing quite badly. It would be ideal to have remote locking, as often in my job I have to carry large items to and from the car, and not having to fumble with my keys would be a bonus.

Reply to
dazza12

I don't think so.

6 to 8 digits IIRC

Yes that would work, and be your best option I guess

Breakers it is then! And I would imagine around £50 at a guess.

Reply to
nigel

"" wrote: > On 9 Sep 2005 16:42:39 -0400, dazza12 > > wrote: > > >"" wrote: > > > On 8 Sep 2005 13:42:46 -0400, dazza12 > > > > > > wrote: > > > > > > >"Tonyh" wrote: > > > > > Does your blob of plastic start the car?. If yes the > car > > > has > > > > > no immo cicuit in key. The original key only contains > a > > > remote > > > > > locker. > > > > > I suggest taking your car to another dealer with the > > > > > instruction. "supply new remote key". The whole deal > will > > > be > > > > > done for about £70, you seem to have spent that in > time > > > > > already looking for the answer yourself. > > > > > T. > > > >

And it all ends on a happy note.

Went to the local dealers again today, as they were a bit short staffed, spoke to the Parts manager about what I?d been through. He went out the back, and a few minutes later brought with him a box containing the receiver and 2 plips.

I expected him to quote the £300 the other dealer had done, but he?d told me he got them in for another job, and weren?t used, and had been sat on the shelf for a long time. I could have the complete set for £80. I nearly ripped his hand off!

Installed it in less than 10 minutes, and it works. Only thing is the smaller button does nothing, but I?m happy the car locks/unlocks with the plip.

Now to search the forums for how to link my immobiliser with the key.

Reply to
dazza12

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

MICHAEL ROCHE

I also own a 96 406 1.8. Having the TEA5500 in it. Resoldered a 405 remote works perfectly.

Greetz Aat

"G.T" schreef in bericht news:4321db98$0$4357$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Reply to
Aat van den Bos

Hi,

Ok, since it's a TEA5500-based unit. Damn I'm pretty surprised they've fit these units until so late !

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T