Oil level risen and very thin.

405 GLD L reg
Started the car and it felt a bit rough, I remembered that the oil had been between min and max a couple of days ago but decided to check again as I had
bought oil ready to go in. Upon checking (after wiping stick clean first) I found the oil level was above max and very runny. No sign of white or cream deposits on filler.
Any ideas please?
if its not head gasket problems then,,,, sounds like fuel is getting past the pistons and contaminating the oil, must be billowing black smoke also, ???? Fitzy

I haven't noticed smoke, but I will get someone to stand behind the car when I start it. What would cause the fuel to get past the pistons? Think it will soon be time for a new car? It has leaks in the door rubbers, electrical probs and now this.

How old is it,, what mileage is recorded, who topped the oil up last and what grade of oil was used, what work has been done under the bonnet recently, if any ?? Fitzy

It's 13 years old, the engine has done around 62000 miles, the gearbox around 2000 and the rest of the car around 250,000. A mechanic friend replaced the oil, he used Castrol GTD Plus 10W-40. no recent work under the bonnet, last work that was done there was about 6 months ago, belts and filters. It's had an oil leak for some time but we think that is gearbox oil, getting a new seal washer and replacing the gearbox oil next weekend.
Does the car do short or average journeys ?? Fitzy

The car does mostly short journies.
Hi, unless one of the injectors has stuck open,, leaking fuel in to the cylinder, this would then run in to the sump and would explain the increase in oil level, but I would imagine this would also cause the car to run rough with black smoke, ?? Fitzy

Would that also cause the car to sound a bit rougher?

Yes, Especially if one of the injectors is faulty, this will cause engine to run rough , misfire and vibrate, Fitzy

Ah, that could be the problem, thanks, the guy who usually does the work on my car is on holiday for a week, as soon as he gets back I will ask him to check that out. I have an electrical prob that we never got to the bottom of so I disconnect my battery every night, I don't suppose a faulty injector coud cause battery drain ?

I Doubt it very much, separate problem,,,,,, Fitzy