parts

Some one might be able to tell me,fitted a new wishbone arm on a pug

405 (no not mine done mine ages ago) went to fit a new ball joint and when doing up the nut it went tight and the shaft of the ball joint still moved round a little,(did not notice this on my car when i done mine) is this normal?arm part number tc811,and ball joint number tc281,it all fitted o,k and has stopped the banging noise from the bottom but he just said should that ball do that i said i dont know but i know a group that might..
Reply to
Chris

Well Well Camberley autos have sold the poor person the wrong ball joint , so poor old me got to fit the other one tuesday evening for him,so why is it that these place cant be asred to sell you the right one in the first place,he gave them the chassic no of the car what else do they need,but never mind i get it done for him with any luck..

Reply to
Chris

Don't know about Pug but in the days when I did all my own repairs I found with Ford and BMC (later to become British Leyland), and Vauxhall come to think of it, that the part did not always match up to what the chassis number indicated. The story in every case was that the assembly line ran out of a part during a run and a temporary alternative was used until stock of the correct unit turned up. It seems that aberrations of this sort are (or certainly were) quite common and don't tend to get recorded, hence the item not corresponding to the chassis number. It was particularly common with brakes and electricals but happened with mechanical parts as well.

Reply to
Keith W

And guess what they sold him the wrong wish bone aswell.so he has to remove it and also the ball joint ,return the ball joint for the right one. and also return the wish bone for the right one, if it has not been fitted to the car they will replace it.(i think they are full of s,,,)so i think that it is all wrong, how can you tell if its the wrong one when untill you have fitted it .it was all done by chassis number so it should of been the right one in the first place.

Reply to
Chris

If it was all done by chassis number they ought to absorb the cost. But it would probably not happen. They could argue that the wrong assembly was fitted post production, possibly after an accident or something.

Reply to
Keith W

They gave us the wrong parts .now we have found out that the part that they gave us was in a wrong bag,as the bag was taped up and not heat sealed.all fitted now and ready for a run,have to recheck after a few miles.

Reply to
Chris

I assume then that, as it appears to be Camberley's fault, they have not charged for the originally supplied parts that were fitted?

Reply to
Keith W

During the strike-torn seventies, they fitted anything they could get at the same time as the rest of the car, just to keep the lines moving, on the rare occasions that they were moving.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

We got a refund on the parts. but still had the parts to fit.(so the parts where free)good old camberleys

Reply to
Chris