PEDAL STOP LIGHT SWITCH 406

Gents I am having problems with the stop lamp switch on my 406 not always switching off when the pedal is released. The problems seem to be due to the pedal not returning to its stop under return spring pressure. This car uses a torsion shaft between the driver and passenger side. Where is the return spring located and how do you get at it. If you lift the pedal by hand the switch works OK. The Haynes manual says that the steering column has to be removed to replace or adjust the switch shortly not. It also mentions a special Peugeot tool is required. What is this and can it be made. Mike

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

i dont think the problem is the pedal not returning fully, it has to have a small amount of reserve travel upwards so dont attempt to modify it so it stops all the way at the top. the problem will be the switch, perhaps the bracket which holds it may be slightly bent away from the pedal, if you can get at it check the clearance between the switch and the pedal. the switch may have also popped out of the bracket slightly, get on your back and take a look under there. steve.

Reply to
anon

ANON I have had a look at the pedal cluster. With the pedal pressed down you can press the teat on the switch and this operates OK, on off as required. There is now slack in the mechanical part of the pedal linkage to the servo and master cylinder at 70K miles. First instinct is to adjust the switch position which is catered for as the switch is threaded for this purpose. However it is a Peugeot and the switch is located directly behind the steering column and cannot be adjusted without taking the steering column out which Haynes say requires a special tool. I do not fancy paying the local Peugeot dealer £100 to 200 to replace and adjust the switch. I have provided a temporary repair by sticking a small piece of ali on the pedal where the switch contacts the pedal. This has affected a cure. This explains why I have seen a number of Peugeots with their brake lights stuck on.

Why is there no return spring on the pedal as is normal on most cars. Or is it located else where. Why was the car designed so that such an obvious adjustment cannot be carried out.

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

I was under the impression that, as the brakes wear, more hydraulic fluid gets drawn into the system so that the pedal travel remains much the same. If any of the experts in the group see this perhaps they would comment please. TIA

Reply to
Buccaneer

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

first of all its french, so dont expect anything to be designed with regards to servicing or maintainence, the french just dont work that way, for every reasonably clever or ingenious idea the french come up with there are 50 that just make you want to bang your head against the nearest wall. the pedal height should not change throughout the life of the brake linings, as you mention any wear will be compensated for by added fluid in the system, (except for rear drum brakes where the self adjusters dont work) but this will still not affect the idle height of the pedal, just means it will travel further before it bites. steve.

Reply to
anon