Peugeot 206 - CUTTING OUT AT IDLING SPEEDS!!

I have a Peugeot 206 XS 1.6 (1998 S REG).

For over 2 months now, the car has been randomly cutting out when idling, for example at junctions or roundabouts. There appears to be no pattern to when it cuts out, i.e. it cuts out in wet, dry, cold and warm conditions. I have noticed that the rev counter often jumps and occasionally sticks at somewhere around 3000 revs without me even pressing the accelerator at all whilst waiting at a roundabout for example. Also, whilst driving ? the car occasionally kicks/jumps if I am not applying much acceleration.

To begin with, I went to a Peugeot dealer garage. At this first visit, I was charged £50 for them to inspect and clean the ?Stepper Motor? which took 2 hours. After roughly a week of driving without cutting out during which time I thought this had fixed the problem, the car started cutting out all of a sudden (up to 5-6 times a day). Following this, I went back to the Peugeot dealer and had a brand new stepper motor (idle control valve system) fitted for £150, (on top of £50) which I was already to look at and ?clean? the stepper motor on my first visit. Since then, the Peugeot garage said ?they had no idea what was causing it and could try a number of different parts to try and find the problem, but obviously this could cost me an enormous amount of money for just replacing perfectly good parts until they find the correct one.?

I found this response very unsatisfactory so I decided to get a second opinion and took it to a private garage somewhere else. Here, I was told that the ?Temperature Sensor? was faulty and therefore this has been replaced now. Needless to say, this still hasn?t fixed it.

This problem has caused be a lot of distress, time and money during the last few weeks and I really need it sorted. I find it hard to believe that Peugeot cannot even find what is wrong after having it twice to look at!! I very much doubt I would buy another Peugeot or recommend one to another person after all this hassle as this is not the first time I have had problems with Peugeot cars.

Please let me know if anyone has had any similar problems and more importantly and success in fixing such a problem!

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Daniel Robinson

I had almost exactly the same problem on a 99 206 GLX 1.6 (same engine as your I think). It had the same erratic behaviour, made changing gears in roundabouts very interesting! And I got some odd looks from a Police car I was sitting next to at lights when it was revving its head off!

I got it fixed at Peugeot Canterbury (I'm from near Glasgow and was away on business). It started playing up on the drive down to Kent, and I took it in the next day. I'm sure they said it was 'the idle control motor', which they ordered in and fitted the next day. This was when the car was about 6 months (15,000 miles) old and under warranty.

Incidentally, the exact same problem happened with my next car - a Rover

416. So it is not just a Peugeot problem... but I do wonder if it was because I was a bit hard on the cars?

Reply to
Triple-S

Hi,

I had a similar problem once on my old 1.4L 205.

In my case the servo that controls how much warm air (preheated by the exhaust pipe) is mixed with the cold air (from the air intake pipe running from the front). If this servo is spoiled it will only fully open to the cold air. In wet & cold conditions it might result in ice build up in the intake hose, and from time to time the motor will just go off.

The other part you could get checked is the lambda sensor in the exhaust pipe. It might give faulty signals to the engine control unit.

Best Regards Frank Enkelmann

Reply to
Frank Enkelmann