Peugeot 407

Hi All

What u guys think of the new 407, looks a bit better than the 406 what u think?

Andy

Reply to
Andrew

The 407 isn't available here in the States (rats) but I like what I see (

). A logical improvement over an Acura Integra or TL design. Wish Acura/Honda had it. No idea of the build quality of the 407. The old 504s (US) were pretty reliable. The Acura Integras were/are super-reliable .. .

Reply to
Bill Freeman

Hmm, not sure. The lack of grill around the badge and the huge grill underneath are really ugly I think; the nose is very bland, but underneath is a grill the size of a lorry. But other than that, it looks a nice car.

MS

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]

Look at the parrot beaks the Acura RSX & Acura TLs are sporting. Peugeot looks very clean by comparison. I see what you mean about the 407 cowl but it is reminiscent of the Cobra 427 GT.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Freeman

Hello,

Just an info that may be pleasant to you : the 407 is known as project D2, IIRC, and I've heard of a D2Z, a US version of 407, which may indicate that Peugeot plans to go back to the USA... Could be named "Ten years after" :-)

Build quality should be good. Glad to hear that US 505 were reliable.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

It was in the paper here last week, that Peugeot, Citroen and Renault can no longer afford to ignore the American market, and aim to get back in by (I think) 2008.

Reply to
Nigel

D2Z program (introduction of P407 in US) has been stopped in 2003. You must wait for years to see a new Peugeot Car in the States.

"G.T" a écrit dans le message news:

40084883$0$17138$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...
Reply to
R1

It might be difficult for Peugeot to find enough dealers to carry enough cars. The old chicken-and-egg investment problem. Renault on the other hand, could introduce models through its Nissan subsidiary without much trouble. Perhaps a new P-R collaboration reminiscent of the old P-R-V engine days? I find it significant that it was Renault that bailed out Nissan, not only with $ but with brains and a plan. France's secret auto weapon might well be marketing .. . something not expected here in the U.S.

R1 wrote in message news:buataq$hca$ snipped-for-privacy@news-reader5.wanadoo.fr...

Reply to
Bill Freeman

Hello,

Great news ! I'm waiting for Pug to be back to north-America for years !

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello,

That's a pity. Note that I would have loved to take part to the development of D2Z !

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello,

True, even if they seem to have some agents (I've heard of one in NYC) and an affiliate (Peugeot Motors of America) which imports spare parts.

True for Renault & Nissan, but I don't think it will be an alliance. Peugeot & Citroën, if they wanna go back to the US (& Canada) will certainly have to find a solution by themselves, or at least without Renault.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Would agree with your analysis. What about a Honda-Peugeot alliance? Each would seem to offer technologies and marketing not available to the other. Both possess an essentially conservative philosophy with Honda edging out with vtec innovation and Peugeot with diesel-transmissions.

Reply to
Bill Freeman

Hello,

diesel-transmissions. No way to work now, as Honda's just released its first own-made Diesel engine in Europe.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Ah. Thanks for the heads up. Remembering Datsun & Renault of 1970 .. . sometimes competitors become strange bedfellows .. .

Reply to
Bill Freeman

Hello,

Yeah, that's the magic of business :-) These years we had the most unlike things to happen, just think of Ford buying Mazda & Volvo, Renault & Datsun (now Nissan), Daimler & Mitsubishi Motors, and I may forget some others... And still, Jap cars did make some kind of "massacre" (not sure of spelling) on the US market some years ago, didn't they ?

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Agree. Not unusual that US #1 (GM), US #2 (Ford) bought into (or acquired) a variety of companies, Korean included. Daimler took a brave step to acquire what Lee Iacocca & Pres. Carter had saved (Chrysler) .. . and considering the lucrative nature of the American market, a smart challenge. The Japanese are great automotive imitators, innovators and marketeers but have inherited an archaic financial/banking system that needed reform equal to the technological challenges of the era (e.g. read: "The House of Namura," Albert J. Alletzhauser, HarperCollins, NY, NY,

1990). Japan's auto industry, IMHO, has succeeded on the sacrifices of their people. It's striking that Renault could forge a financial & marketing "bailout" of Nissan in areas where the Japanese are supposedly supreme. This says a lot for French heads-up .. . something I saw in Peugeot & Renault when they were here in the U.S. - Bill

G.T wrote in message news:4013ff63$0$1157$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Reply to
Bill Freeman