Peugeot in US

Does Peugeot have plans for returning to the US market? They exited the market in the 1990's, I believe. True, their vehicles were notorious for
poor reliability, but offered an alternative to the German and Japanese imports. Has the quality of their vehicles improved to the point where they can compete in a market where they will not have protectionist tariffs? If so, I'd like to see them on American roads again.

It was in the paper here in January, that Peugeot, Citroen and Renault can no longer afford to ignore the American market, and aim to get back in by (I think) 2008.
We hear rumours a little everywhere. It could be that Renault or Peugeot purchase the old GM factory in Montreal (QC - Boisbriand). But if you want, you can buy a Peugeot motorcycle in USA ! - http://www.mypeugeotscooter.com -

they
If
Hi,

I've heard of such things nearly one year ago, but I still don't know more. I know a version of the 407 (codename D2) has been developped for the US / Northern America market, called D2Z, but I've read here that it was canceled.

Was true, but they do not import them anymore, according to their homepage, but you can still order spareparts. Oh, they did the same with cars, as they also kept their US affiliate.
Regards, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr 205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel : http://205d.fr.st
Hi,

Not in a near future I'm affraid.

True, '90 or '91.

That's strange, as here, in Europe they have an outstanding reliability. True 505s and 405s needed a correct servicing, with oil changes every 7,000 or 10,000km I think.

they
If Quality really improved - no more rattles in dashboards, chassis are as good as they were, engines are as good, too. There are some problems with embeeded electronics, but they tend to disappear.

Sure I'd be pleased, too. I still can't understand why VW sells Jetta's (known as Passat here), Golf's and Pug did not sell many 405s.
Regards, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr 205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel : http://205d.fr.st

for
The JD Power survey carries a little more clout in the US, so they will have to do better than they do in the UK when it comes to quality of service in particular.
But I would've thought the 407 would go down well in the US since it looks like a typical US-designed sedan. Perhaps that's why it looks like it looks.
Androo
Hi,

have
I agree, the service quality may be disastreous. Certainly the worst aspect of Peugeot.

looks. The 407, while in development was called D2. The project had a variant called D2Z, which was a US specs 407. AFAIK (but keep in mind I don't work for Peugeot, so I can't tell you if it's true, or the reasons why) D2Z development was stopped, and the car release canceled.
Regards, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr 205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel : http://205d.fr.st
Quality is a downside of Peugeot. They build fun cars, have good engines - but the interior lacks quality compared to eg. VW. The same is true for the suspension. Mine had to be renewed after only about 10k miles.
Peugeot also has to compete in the U.S. with all the Japanese and Korean autos. A very tough market to break into with enough dealers with enough knowledge and spares. Mitsuibishi and VW are having a hard time .. . let alone Volvo, SAAB & Jaguar. Then there is financing. How do you compete with O percent financing that US and Oriental brands offer? Why bother when such a substantial investment is required for such a small return? A possible way might be the Nissan route that Regie Renault took. Nissan is selling very well .. . with Renault management. Perhaps Peugeot could do the same with Mitsuibishi .. . if they could find someone to field Mitsuibishi's debt.

the