pug 405 problems

I have an L reg Peugeot 405 GLX Turbo Diesel, I have owned since 1999. i am currently trying to sort out a couple of problems with it, so i thought that i would post this message in vain hope that someone may piont me in the right direction (before i go any further make sure that you have a flask of tea ready, cos this is going to be a long read!)

Problem 1. 2 years ago I decided to treat her to some TLC, I went out and bought Diesel Injector cleaner, engine flush, glow plugs and some symphetic oil; so I went to the garage put the diesel injector cleaner into the the tank and then filled up the tank (as per instructions) I then put in the engine flush (and as instructed) left it in for a week, so now the service, when i went to change the air filter i notice that there was some black gunge on the filter, I didn't really think much of it then, so i just changed it, i then changed the oil with the synphetic oil and that was the way i have serviced the car since, BUT over the 2-3 years there has been a change in the engine, i now have "soot" on the glow plugs, a constant oil leak from the rocker cover (2 new gaskets fitted in the last year)not a serious leak! blue smoke on startup, an intermittant rough idle with blue smoke from the exhaust only during this period of rough idle, any other time and the exhaust is normal, AND there is oil in the air system (how does it get there?) any idea on how to cure this problem?

problem 2 ever since i have had the car it has suffered from an very usual eletrical fault, bulb behind clock with not display the time even after changing the bloody blub!) well it will in you tap it! checked the connection and it was ok, the drivers side headlight will somtimes not work, if i get out the the car and tap the lens it will sometimes come on, or i may have to take the back cover off the headlight unit and just touch the connector and it will work, new headlight unit was bought and the connection has been checked, the strangest one of all is the front fog lamp on the passager side, it will not work in the bumper, take it out of the bumper and let it hang and it will work all the time, i have bought 2 new fog lamps and tried them, but still he problem persists again I have checked the connection and everthing seems to be ok and just last Sunday my bloody right front indicator stopped working, but this time I was on the ball, I unclipped the unit twisted and it worked!! and touch wood still is! If anyone can shed any light on these 2 problems I would be very gratful, I do like my car and i do want to have it trouble free if poss!! any infor will be very gratfully received.

thank you all for reading this novel.

jackco

Reply to
jackco

Are you sure it's the rocker cover that's leaking? They are known to leak oil from the return oilways at the rear corners of the head. The black thing that you pour the oil into, connects to the airfilter housing. It's the main engine breather so when the engine starts to wear and you get blow by on the pistons, there is oily air being forced out of the breather into the air filter and down the turbo pipes. Situation normal for all TD owners. My mums '95 405 has the roughness on startup which clears within a min or so. I've just replaced the engine and this symptom hasn't gone away. The only carried over parts were the turbo and fuel pump. The fuel pump is connected into the pressure feed from the turbo so maybe there is some sort of oil contamination. This could only affect the boost fuelling so maybe the oil has eaten through a diaphragm? My 300K miles '93 405 doesn't have any of your problems. Mum's car has only done 85K and I replaced the engine a few K miles ago with a similar aged Zantia engine.

Reply to
yeha

I had some wierd issues with electrics on my petrol 405 (which is no longer with us) caused by water in the ECU storage box. This was situated on the right side of the engine, near the windscreen. When the car was parked, rainwater was coming down the windscreen and flowing into the box that this and three lighting relays lived in. All parts were immersed in water, causing no end of lighting problems.

Hope this helps,

Fraser.

Reply to
Fraser

ok firstly the rocker cover gasket (rubber type) is not a great design, the cover itself is only held down by 2 nuts and is prone to leaks........however.the other symptoms you describe...blue smoke...oil in the air box etc would sugest to me that the piston rings are worn...this will increase pressure in the rocker cover thus assisting any leaks and of course blowing the oil further through the breathers into the air box...the black soot on the glow plugs in not uncommon and providing it starts easily enough then dont worry about it.

secondly...it just sounds like you have an array of poor connections......sometimes its not good enough to simply change the bulbs etc...the connectors may look clean, but is it clean where the contact is made..probably not.....buy some new electrical connectors and replace them if your concerned..its not difficult...

Reply to
steve