Pug 406 HDi 2001 Exec - Electrical Gremlins are breeding

Our 2001 406 exec has started to display some worrying symptoms. Posted last week about indicator problems. Now the thing beeps at you, the engine management light came on and things went from bad to worse:

1 Rev counter drops to zero revs whilst maintaining constanst speed

2 Speedo arm 'waggles' up and down

3 Odometer trips out and sets total milage back to zero (shouldn't complain, but it does reset itself!)

4 Indicators cease to function at all

5 When turning off headlights dash, remains illuminated

It did this on Friday night, stopped car repeatedly, switched off left for a few seconds and it seemed to reset itself. Drive on slightly further and it started again. Mechanically the car drives as well as ever no effect on engine or progress at all.

Took it to a mechanic on Saturday morning and he looked at the wiring behind the dash and under the steering wheel. He couldn't however interogate the diagnostics as he said the thing didn't have a live feed to it. Also the steering column stereo controls haven't functioned since we've owned the car. But since friday night (touch wood) it hasn't reoccurred since. Maybe a loose connection, blown fuse, ecu shot to bits?

Have any of you guys had this or similar problems? Is it something I can leave for now or would you recommend a full check over by an Auto Electrician as I guess not having the diagnsotics working is quite a handicap.

Bloody car, christmas less than a week away and we're trying to buy a house in the new year, guess what we really didn't bank on?!

Thanks in advance for advice and merry chrimbo.

Reply to
Longshot

sounds like an earth problem.

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Wierd things like this can happen when the battery is failing.

Reply to
MarkK

Or even when the battery terminal connections are not all they should be. Worth checking them. Kinder than hitting them with a large hammer which has also been known to work sometimes - the other times it just knocks the post off the battery.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson