Rear Subframes 306 and 205 + ball joint problems

Hello, The rear radial arm bearing on the back of my 306TD have worn, causing the wheel to rub on the wheel arch. Because of this I'm going to have to change the bearings (which is a ball ache) or the subframe (doable but not my idea of fun). What I was wondering is if a 205 subframe is the same as a 306 subframe, cus I've still got the one from my old 205. At a quick glance they look similar but I'm unsure about the torsion bars being the same cus the 306 is heavier. Any thoughts on this would be very usefull.

Also I've been having fun with the bottom ball joints on the front suspension. I've replaced them but I've still got play when the wheels moved in the 3 and 9 O'clock positions. Any idea why? I've already replaced all the subframe bushes and the subframe mountings are also fine. could it be the antidrop bar links?

Reply to
jimrathbone

[...]

Just had a look at the diagrams and the 205 looks different to me, not least because the 306 has as an antiroll bar. The fixings to the body look different too. The torsion bars have completely different part numbers. So I would say no to that.

I would have thought to get play in 3 & 9 o'clock position it would be track rod ends on the end of the rack.

Reply to
nigel

Thanks m8, I'd reached the same conclusion with the subframe, I think I'm going to sell my current 306 and buy a newer one. I've found sand under the carpet and rust where you wouldn't expect to find it( stearing column bracket), which makes me think its been bunked in salt water at some point in its life. also I've had to replace so many components like suspension bushes, alternator, PAS pump and the tensionor that the jobs are never ending.

The ball joint problem ended up being the antiroll bar drop links.

I've had experience of taking torsion bar suspension apart before and it involved half a day of swinging a sledge hammer, a lot of beautiful language and the loss of most the skin off my knuckles. Not wanting to go through that experience again and not having a drive to mess about changing the subframe on means buying a new car is the best idea. I was thinking a S reg 306 TD. problem is my current 306 looks sweat in midnight blue with colour matched trims and nice ally's, finding a newer version of the same car is going to be hard.

Reply to
jimrathbone