Ball Joint

How difficult is it to replace the ball joints on a 2 wheel drive '81 half ton Blazer? Are special tools needed? I've recently acquired the Blazer and was checking out the wheel bearings(replaced them one side didn't even have a grease seal) and discovered the lower passenger side ball joint is pretty much shot. Tie rod ends seem tight and visually the control arm bushings look fair. The tie rod frame mount bolts on the passenger side were loose so I tightened them. That took a little of the play out of the steering, but I was wondering, is there any adjustment on the steering box(power assist) to tighten the steering?

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

if you're asking that question..... pay some one to do it. it's not hard from a technical standpoint, but 23 year old ball joints will be a MF'er to remove.

figure about 80 bucks a piece and 2 hours labor (per joint)

none that immediately come to mind.

if you look down onto the top of the steering box, you'll see a stud with a allen socket embossed in it. you have to back the nut (that is threaded onto the stud) off (turn counter clockwise) and tighten the stud (turning clockwise) while checking for binding.

you need to be REAL careful when you do this, if you tighten it too much, you can crush the ball bearings in the box and/or cause the sector shaft to break. if you need to tighten it more than 1/4 turn stop, as there's probably something else wrong with the steering box.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks! I looked at the steering box this afternoon and know exactly the fitting of which you speak. As far as the ball joint goes, I priced it locally and was told it would run about $40 so I think I'll probably go that route. I could do it myself, but I'd need some way to compress the spring to get it all back together and to keep it from flying apart in the first place. I thought there was probably a tool of some sort for that, or some trick to it.

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

man I wish my lower ball joints were 40 bucks each... just had my lowers replaced at 75 bucks a pop (88K2500) (I would have done it, but time is something I don't have right now)

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Special tools for balljoint R&R:

  1. Coil spring compressor
  2. Hydraulic press
  3. Grinder
  4. 550 ft/lbs+ impact wrench for removing the lower control arm bolts
  5. 6-pack of PB Blaster
  6. BFH

Regards,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Is # 5 an alcohol, or did you forget a #7?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Thanks! I'll definitely let the local shop do it as I don't have a hydraulic press.

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

big freaking(polite term) hammer I thought the PB was Pabst Blueribbon. ;)

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

PB Blaster is the ultimate stobborn-bolt "helper" in a can. Eats thru rust like you wouldn't believe. I always have at least 3 cans in my garage at all times.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

You ever been able to get the new ones in w/out a press? I can get the old ones out with a 6-pack of brew in me and a BFH, but I just yank the lower arms and bring them to the shop to press in the new ones. If there's an easier way I'm all ears..............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I keep a can in the truck at all times... I took off a set of budd wheels of our office trailer that had been on there for 35 years with

2 shots of PB Blaster and a 1/2" ratchet (NOT a breaker bar). the stuff is AMAZING.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Reply to
Bret Chase

I've only ever done a set of ball joints once and I don't remember using a press (it was a while ago, one may have been used). my uncle has all sorts of tricks and he did the installation while I was doing something else.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Hi!

No, it's not an alcohol, but I bet you'd act funny if you drank some!

I got some PB Blaster to loosen up seriously stubborn "projects" in the garage. It worked for nearly everything--the only thing it couldn't do was fix up some old fuel lines and get them to come apart.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Could have sworn I had read about using a u-joint press? Could have sworn so much that the u-joint press everyone touts as the best was also a ball joint press?

BTW - any really good sites about how all of this works? With my lack of knowledge I couldn't tell a good one from a bad one right now...

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

I'll add one. An air hammer with a pickle fork. Although a BFH would probably suffice.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Hell yeah it is. I can't even imagine working on exhaust parts without it. Gotta love that trademark smell too eh?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Funny, fuel lines are also the only thing I've had a problem with that PB Blaster didn't help.

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

Awesome stuff, I'da never got the bolts broke loose on the exhaust manifold donut gasket flanges without it.. I've used it several other places and it works every time.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Took care of it today. I've taken the play in the steering wheel down from about eight inches to two. Thanks again.

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd