removable tow bar fitting ..help!!

I have had a 406 td saloon for a few years now and it has a lockable/ removeable tow hitch in the boot. I never needed before now and have no idea how to fit it to the car. Under the boot is the electrics connector and a socket for the tow hitch to fit. My dimness is at its highest has I cannot work out how to fit it apart from hitting it with a slegde hammer. I have the key etc.

Help me please!!!

Reply to
david bailey via CarKB.com

If its like the ones on my old 306's:

  1. Remove the plastic cap to reveal the socket on the towbar into which the tow ball assembly fits

  1. There is an internal spring loaded bolt which secures the tow ball assembly in place while in use. You will need to unscrew it using the little lever to one side of the tow bar socket - rotate this lever anticlockwise until you can pull this bolt back

  2. Offer the towball up to the towbar socket upside down, it should then slide in. Rotate it right side up, you may feel it click into position as the tip of the retractable bolt lines up with the hole in the side of the towball shaft. Release the bolt lever and retighten to secure the tow ball in position.

  1. Removal is reverse of the above. Strictly speaking, it is a legal requirement to do so whenever driving solo, as the tow ball obcures the rear number plate on the models where this type of towbar is normally fitted.

Reply to
Gunslinger

Hi Gunslinger Thanks for your help, I am off to try it now , if it ever stops raining here. Appreciate your clear instructions, even a know nought like me should be able to fix the tow bar. Dave

Reply to
david bailey via CarKB.com