screws for roofbars on 406 saloon

Hi: I have roofbars (genuine Pug) for 406 saloon, but no screws. Dealer says £16 for 4 screws please and don't use any you get at a hardware store, ours are special! Anyone out there know whether screws can be used that cost less than £4.00 each?

Reply to
Poodle

Poodle

Anyone out there know whether screws can be used that cost less

Suggest you buy one, then go down to your local DIY or motor factor and compare prices.....

If you work in industry, if you have access to a toolmakers, suggest you give them a call as all their fasteners will be very high grade. If you don't want them to rust, buy stainless steel ones from a yacht chandler.

Adam H

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

Thanks, but I believe they only sell in sets of 8!

Reply to
Poodle

I faced similar pricing for some lock on bolts on the diesel fuel filter housing.(Well about £4 for four)

I can't believe that Peugeot would go for anything exotic in a metric size but check with the dealer on why "they are special" If he just says that they are superior quality etc then that's just bollocks. Get a selection of bolts from an ironmonger (m4,m5,m6,m8) Try them for size (very gently)

Unless you are going to have the roof bars on all the time then just purchase cheap bolts.A spot of grease will cure any tendency to rust.Increases MPG if you leave them on - up to 10%.

If you do want to leave them on, a security fixing would be better - Screwfix have security metric bolts.If they require to be cut to size, put a nut on the bolt before you make the cut. That way it will deburr the bolt when you remove the nut.

Reply to
sid