Service questions

1995 Maxima GXE, Automatic, 217,000 KM.

  1. Need new brake pads, do I go for Nissan pads or aftermarket, if so, what brand.

  1. Dealer says to change Transmission Fluid and also to wash it. 0.00 CAD.
  2. Car is hopping in the rear when going over bumps, this is the second set of struts in the past 4 years, what would be a good aftermarket brand to go with this time and how hard/easy to change myself.
  3. Have just noticed a slight hesitation when mildly accelerating, time to clean the MAF?
  4. Clunking sound noticed in rear end, turning and backing up, does this mean some bushings are gone, or is this back to the struts?
  5. Assuming that none of the bushings/flexible suspension parts have ever been changed, what should I focus on to change, I am not that car literate I am afraid.
  6. Any other suggestions for high distance/age maintenance at this point, or have I covered it?

rtt

***
Reply to
Richard Tomkins

I would recommend Nissan pads. They are the least likely to squeal and have a good balance of performance/durability. If original parts are expensive locally, consider Akebono pads as an alternative. They are available from

When replacing the pads, consider, at a minimum, having the rotors turned/cut. If those are the original rotors, it may not be a bad idea to replace them. I would recommend Brembo OEM equivalent rotors (blanks, not the drilled/slotted variety).

I would definitely recommend a tranny drain and fill. You can do this yourself (if you can change engine oil, you can change tranny fluid). It's the same concept.

Hard to tell if it is the struts, but in any event, I would recommend Tokico Blues. They are the OEM manufacturer for the original Nissan struts/shocks. You may want to check the mounts (front and rear). Again, if those are the original mounts, it's probably time to replace them, along with the strut bearings (up front) and dust boots (all 4 corners).

Could be any number of things, including but not limited to, a dirty throttle body, faulty knock sensor (I would highly recommend checking this), old plugs, weak coils, etc. Can't say anything more specific without a better idea of the maintenance history of the vehicle.

Could be either. A competent suspension/chassis shop should be able to tell you more definitively.

There are a host of bushings to replace up front. I am not as familiar with the rear (yet). Up front I would recommend ball joints, tie-rod ends (inspect first), sway-bar bushings, sway-bar end-links and bushings as well as strut bearings, strut mounts (inspect first) and lower-control arm bushings. Thats a whole lot of work and won't be cheap - so it all depends on how long you plan on keeping the car.

I have 133k miles on my 96 Maxima - which is around 210,000km... so I'm right about where you are. I would also recommend other maintenance items like coolant flush, fuel filter, PCV valve (inspect first), accessory belts, spark plugs, and brake fluid flush. Have you been servicing the car per the recommended schedule? A lot of these are 120k mile items - not sure how the Canadian maintenance schedule lines up with the one down here.

Cheers and Good luck!

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi
1995 Maxima GXE, Automatic, 217,000 KM....Any other suggestions for high distance/age maintenance at this point,

- I dont kow any problematic pad types. Nissan doesnt mfg pads, only adds a $tamp...

- A/T oil change is not like engine oil change, but a process. See link

Shock: Seek 'Favorite Links' on page below, relatively easy, u need determination and proper compression tools.

- Hesitation may have myriad reasons, also be TPS, low charge voltage, oxidated connectors etc. See

& page10 (MAF cleanup may boost mixture,linearly.)

- Lift the car, jack suspension up/down and inspect. Prop chassis up properly. If shock is broken, it may clunk: my 'new' front right shock started givin noise after 10k, now it leaks oil at 30k.

- I'd check cam chain guides, tensioners for wear

- harness, relay, connector, grounding tuneup, see page 10 below etc

Reply to
Wiikinki

Many thanks for the input. Does seem to be a lot to do, but once done, I reckon the machine will just keep on going again for anther few years. rtt

***
Reply to
Richard Tomkins