Couple of Subaru Loyale Questions

Hi,

I have a 1992 Subaru Loyale 4x4 wagon, about 259000 kms. (first clutch, I believe)

1st Problem: when slowing up to a stop light, with the clutch pedal down, the car seems to jerk along until the brake finally stops it. At first I thought it was a "dragging clutch". I've tried shortenning the cable the get the pressure plate to pull further away, but from the flywheel, but this has no effect. The engine leaks a bit of oil, so I thought that maybe some dirt/oil got on to the pressure plate and is causing it to drag. Fixing this would probably require taking it to a mechanic, so I might as well get a new clutch well I'm at it. But this will be $1000Cdn (according to the mechanic - they'll fix the seals while they're at it)

But, could this be something else? Could the "hill holder" be reacting in some wierd way? Maybe I'm just really bad at adjusting my clutch? (i've followed my manual, but ... who knows?)

2nd Problem: I get an intermittant "check engine" light. I've checked the code, and its for the EGR Solenoid. (34) I took the solenoid switch out, and tested it by hooking it up to the battery. It seems to work fine, opening and closing with applied current. Then I bought a multimeter and tested the resistance. I forget what it was, but it was very close to what it was supposed to be. It must be a vacuum leak, or the EGR Valve itself. Apparently you can clean these, so I tried to take it off, but the bolts are really rusted in. I'm not sure I should go to the trouble of buying a bolt remover to get this off. I've tried to clean it with WD40 without taking it out, but this didn't do anything. Any suggestions on cleaning it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Reply to
ryan

At that kind of mileage, it's likely you really will need to get in there and replace the clutch, but before you do, try replacing the cable. I've seen people report similar symptoms with a cable that was getting ready to give up (separates from the end after strands fray and break--pedal "feels" right, but the mechanism's not being fully released.)

That's a troublesome code! It can be simply the EGR solenoid valve's giving up, or the entire EGR system's getting clogged. You need to get some penetrating oil and see if you can loosen the rusted bolts, then remove the EGR valve, and clean not only the valve, but the passages into the head (stiff wire is suggested.) They get clogged with carbon and cause pinging and there are reports of broken rings. My Loyale gave up the ghost last year, and has been sitting in the garage awaiting a decision on whether to fix it or not. No. 3 cylinder has ZERO psi compression, though I haven't opened it up to find the cause, and I suspect the flashing EGR light (with the same code) for several months before its demise might be related. My symptoms mirrored those reported with clogged EGR passage/broken ring engines.

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

If the car seems to pulsate as you brake it might be a warped rotor, or some other rotor problem, and not the clutch. If you can push the clutch in when stopped, and the car doesn't move when you rev the engine, I doubt the clutch is dragging. A dragging clutch would also make shifting difficult. You still may need a new clutch and/or cable, but the symptoms for that would be a very stiff clutch, and the clutch slipping when you gas it in a higher gear. I just sold my Loyale with 175k on it. It was getting close to a new clutch (stiff) but otherwise it ran great. Mine was burning some oil through the valve guides, but the leaks were minimal.

Reply to
Sheldon

Thanks for the info Sheldon and Rick.

just my luck, I've got a new problem. Now there's a really bad noise coming from the right side of the engine during acceleration. I haven't had much time to investigate, but I did pull the spark plug at the back right and it seemed ok. Some carbon, but no oil or anything like that. I'm really not sure. Even if the cylinder isn't wreaked, the EGR system could be completely clogged. I think I'll probably break down and take it in, unless I can find time to look at it.

thanks for all your help,

Ryan

Reply to
ryan

If this is an "extra" car pick up a mechanic's stethascope. They can really help you nail down where a noise is actually coming from. My old Loyale knocked going up steep hills on regular gas, and the exhaust had a shield running the full length that would rattle now and then. Really sounded bad but was no big deal.

Reply to
Sheldon

Sheldon,

Funny you should mention the exhaust. I finally had a chance to look at it and that's exactly where it's coming from. Whew!! I was a pretty worried for a while there.

thanks again for all your help,

ryan

Reply to
ryan

Hi,

And now, if you REALLY want some serious noises, drive down enough gravel roads to get a coupla small stones tossed up where they can rattle on the heat shields! Talk about worried...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright