Speed cameras (UK)

I thought this would be the case. I was trying to picture lots of people with a pile of photos, counting the little lines and working out the speeds and then thought, nah, they'll just look at the reg and send it to the owner.

I was in a 40 limit and tried going at 35mph and seeing how long it'd take to get down to 25mph without braking, and it's quite a distance which further enforces my position that I was going WELL under the limit.

I suppose a car could have been going too fast in the opposite direction, but to be honest I can't remember.

Thanks.

MS

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]

None SHOULD. Some do accidentally.

Are you sure that the cameras weren't double side ones, and you just 'accidentally' got flashed approaching it? I am fairly sure that flashing cameras do not face traffic for the reasons you mention.

To tell the difference, Gatsos (the most popular) are fairly boxey with two square holes for the lens and flash, plus a strip for the radar. Tuvelo ones have two round lens holes (one I think is an infra red flash which you can't really see when it goes off).

MS

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]

When I'm next along that bit of Road I will double-check.

However I'm virtually convinced that:-

1 They are single sided 2 They ONLY face on-coming traffic (i.e. they are not reversible) 3 They are at a position just after the start of a 30mph, after a de-reg section (i.e. best place to catch those that are slow to back off speed) 4 I was well & truly temporary blinded by the bright WHITE Flash (just like someone letting a Camera Flash off into your face). 5 They have been there for years & were originally painted Black but have, subsequently, had the Bright Yellow covering plastic added to them!

Regards, John

Reply to
John J. Burness

Further to my last...

Please ignore the article about noe being required to supply details. This is now case law (Human Rights Act does not apply in these cases) If you get a NIP notice ( then you are required to supply deatils of the driver, if you fail to do so you run the risk of being fined as if you were the driver in any case. jf (met - traffic pc)

Reply to
ColneyGirl

That's surprising. Is it on a central reservation or the side of the road? Where are the registration marks (the ruler marking in the gutter) as this will explicitly show where the camera should photograph.

Not surprising.

I can see how this would be dangerous.

Black is an odd colour. Normally they are in battleship grey. I suspect this isn't a Gatso, but am surprised that it flashes in drivers' faces for the reasons you've stated.

MS

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]