parking attendants at work

another parking attendant story,

When the wife parked today, she noticed that the white van parked in front of her, had one of it's back wheels up on the kerb stone. She knows that there is the liability of a penalty for such parking on the pavement.

Where she was parked there was in fact no kerbstone. It was opposite a former driveway. This driveway was no longer in use and had a fence going across it at the house end. However it was formerly a driveway and hence had no kerbstone.

She got an £80 penalty ticket from Barnet Council, quoting: " Penalty 62. Parked with one or more wheels on part of an urban road other than a carriageway (footway parking)."

They say if we pay within 14 days its only £40.

But if we query it I understand we will have to pay the full £80. Please could anyone advise on what action we should best take in this circumstance, since she was not parked on a pavement or kerbstone. Also she was not parked extravagantly over this driveway, we are talking here a matter of inches. thanks for any advice.

Reply to
JWHB

Phone them and ask if they have a photo of the offence. They should do, as I've been told it's standard procedure now - Found this out when phoning to pay a parking ticket and the person the other end comented on how my car looked!

Also, you might be given an extension on the 14 day thing if you contest, if you ask very nicely and point out that you are willingly to pay promptly if they can prove you're guilty.

Reply to
Stuffed

Did I not read that you should pay the £40 pending an appeal, then you get the cash back if you win??

Reply to
PhilÅ

Double check the registration number on the ticket. Perhaps someone moved it from the van to your car.

Reply to
CWatters

thanks to all. yes i did check to see if the ticket was switched from the van to our car. no such luck.

Where she was parked there was in fact no kerbstone. It was opposite a former driveway. This driveway was no longer in use and had a fence going across it at the house end. However it was formerly a driveway and hence had no kerbstone.

She got an £80 penalty ticket from Barnet Council, quoting: " Penalty 62. Parked with one or more wheels on part of an urban road other than a carriageway (footway parking)."

I contacted the Council yesterday and they said an appeal to them would not double the fine, unless it goes on to the 'Parking and Traffic Appeals Service. They told me that whilst some Councils Attendants use digital cameras they do not. So they said they will get back to me.

As I said before my wife is a careful parker (i.e. one that actually looks back at the handiwork and will correct it if wrong ).

She says she is sure she was not over that 'dropped' kerb in the disused private house driveway. (the driveway is fenced across at the house end).

Since Barnet Attendants do 'not' use digital cameras, and we also have no supporting evidence, it looks like it will all come down to her word against the parking attendant's word. Would the independent tribunal ' automatically and as a matter of course' rule in the attendants favour, I wonder?

If we pursued our cause (without extra evidence) however just, with the Parking and Traffic Appeals Service; would it most like just be throwing away £40?

Reply to
JWHB

Not necessarily. When we (successfully) appealed a towing charge all the way up to the Adjudication Service, the adjudicator included some stuff in her judgement against the council that we hadn't even included in our appeal(s), namely the location specified on the parking ticket versus the area defined by the council as being subject to the parking suspension.

Reply to
Art Deco

I think I would go back and take photos of the location. If possible mark on the photo to show where she was parked. Send that in with the appeal.

Reply to
CWatters