steering

Hi. Got asked today if i could do a steering gaiter on a pug 405 with power steering. i told the person that it is not very easy to do . the thing i need to know am i wright or shall i have a go at it.or has anybody done one with out any proplems.

Reply to
Chrs

Depends which side. The off side is relatively easy, the nearside is not, as you have the power steering ram connector in the way, so you can't slide the new gaitor on over it. Yes I have done one but it is a bugger of a job. You can get rubber ones which will strech over, but they don't last any time.

Reply to
Brian

So its a yes or no job then?i think i might give it a try.also try and get rubber gaitors

Reply to
Chrs

You havent yet said which side. The rubber gaitors, you can get standard ones from most car places. The only problem is that they are usually a bit too long, so get squeezed up when on full lock. This causes them to split quite quickly. Haynes tells you to remove the rack to do the NS one, and they are right. You then dismantle the rack, pulling the rack from the housing to the NS, then you can put on the correct gaitor. This also fits better, as there is very little lip at the ends to fix the rubber type to.

Reply to
Brian

i think it is both sides. so it will pay me to remove the rack and do it .but if it is the n/s one i wll play with it from under the car.got told the n/s one is a sod todo but it takes time to do and he said he did not remove the rack. just pulled and pushed and took his time doing it,

Reply to
Chrs

You can get one of the rubber ones on the nearside that way, but not the Peugeot part. You will have to remove the power steering ram at the NS end too.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks for the reply Brian, i am going to try and get a rubber one so its easy for me to do the job for him, chris addlestone surrey

Reply to
Chrs