valve cover leakage

When I had my car (Partner 1.9D) done at the dealer for 45000 km service, they said there is a slight leakage of the valve cover. Now instead of paper of aluminum packing this seems to be sealed with some sort of putty kit. How do they prevent parts of the old seal falling in the engine? It will cost about 130 euros to have the job done. What do experts in the group think about this issue?

Reply to
Linea Recta

We always make sure that the old gasket trys and come soff in one bit if not we are very carefull and put a paper towel by the top so if we have to get the old gasket off it gos all over the towel, so when towel is removed it takes all the old gasket with it, also we always check that there is no old gasket in the valve springs or in the top end.

Reply to
Chrs

"Chrs" schreef in bericht news:20070320152811.63089d9f@compaq...

I hope my mechanic makes sure too! But I was especially surprised to hear that putty seal is used. Why aren't gaskets in one piece (paper or aluminum) used anymore? I think the putty may be pressed out again quite soon in future, requiring more costly repairs.

Reply to
Linea Recta