#16 Heads...should I get them?

Hi all,

I am in the middle of a build on my 400. It's a stock bore, with CompCam 270 (224/224 .470/.470 112 - I think- LSA), rear end is a 3.08 and I have a Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed. This is a weekend driver on the street.

Ok...all that said, I have 6x-4 heads but one of them is cracked. It'll cost me 120.00 to get that welded and get both my heads in bolt-on shape.

I found some #16 (72cc) heads from a `68 GTO that are ready to go for

300.00 plus probably 60.00 in shipping.

Should I go for it or not? The CR would go from roughly 8.3:1 up to

9.8:1! Also what gains would I get horsepower and torque wise on it....and is it worth spending 250.00 more than I have to spend anyway for those gains?

Thanks

Reply to
unix-freak

Stan Weiss

I have #16s on my '67 GTO. They came off a '68 428. I am trying to remember everything I did, but I just can't. Anyway, I do have stock pistons ( I think I do, anyway) and the Ram Air (S grind?) Comp Cams cam installed. IIRC, the 428 had 10.75/1 stock compression. Also, IIRC the 428 and the 400 share the same piston size - the 400 has a shorter stroke which should lower the compression number, right? Anyway, I run super (94) exclusively - I've never tried regular (87). It runs very well with this setup, but keep in mind that I had #16s on before the change as well. I have no point of reference that would say they are better than the 6x heads, but it will definately run with them.

For the HP/torque answer, check out the engines that had the #16s on them. I believe a '67 catalina would have run them.

Finally, would I spend 180 more to have a set of heads that weren't ever cracked? Yes, I would - but that's me...

Reply to
Joseph Roche

I really don't know if they have hardened seats. Anyways, my engine builder convinced me to stay with my 6x-4s.

Reply to
unix-freak

It kind of pains me to say it, but as all the junkyards seem to melt everything down over 10 years old, and since Pontiac 350's are considered pretty worthless, I would guess tens of thousands of 6x-4's have been recycled for 3 cents a pound. They made a large number of 77 350's, but I think the majority have already been crushed. If anyone is in a junkyard and spots a 77 Grand Prix with a 350, try to carry those heads out! It's sad to think you'd have to repair something once so taken for granted.

Reply to
Joe

Hold the phone...... I have a 350 in my back yard. 74's ish What should I look for ? Two barrell 350. Still good.

cw kingdommatworldnetdotattdotnet in NC

Reply to
Craig Watts