1980 Lemans Safari Wagon

What would you suggest as the best choice for a strong engine transplant to replace my tired 301?

Reply to
Lyndon

Lyndon wrote the following, which while being attributed to fact was none the less being challenged::

400ci Pontiac, from the same year T/A. Do not get the boat-anchor that is the 403 Olds offered in the same year. W
Reply to
William

Pontiac 400, of course. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I appreciate the quick response William, the thing is ... I had heard that the turbo 301 was the largest engine for T/A's in 1980. Have I been misinformed?

Reply to
Lyndon

No, you are right. 1979 was the last year the Firebirds came with the

400. That was not due to changes in vehicle design however.

GW

Lynd>

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

The last year for the 400+ engines in the Firebird was 1979 and the Pontiac 400 engines used that year were actually stock piled from the

1978 model year.
Reply to
Dennis Smith

The 400 or a Pontiac 350 will bolt right in place of the 301. To clarify the

1980-81 Trans Ams, Pontiac 350s were discontinued in 77, and the 400 in 78. Pontiac planned to stockpile 10,000 1978 400's and install those in the 79's. If they planned to put them all in 10th anniversary Trans Ams apparently they changed their minds, and they installed them any 79 Trans Ams and formulas with a 4-speed. When the dust settled, only 8,000 and change were built. Olds 403 production was also killed in 79.

The 80 and 81 Trans Ams usually have 301's. Some with Turbo and some not. Chevy 305's were also used.

Reply to
Joe