1989 pontiac 6000le 2.8 liter timing

I have the 2 sprockets off of the car and I fixed it's timing, it was way off, but if I put the 2 new sprockets on and add the chain, the chain is really loose, how do I tighten it, or is it suposed to be loose, because I don't want it skipping timing again.

Reply to
ss17goku

Based on your description it sounds to me like you should replace the chain also.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

ya, I meant to put new chain, the new chain is loose, and I don't know why.

Reply to
ss17goku

Is there any chance that you were supplied the wrong parts for your particular vehicle?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

I found I was accidently putting the old chain on, that is why it was loose, so I switched chains, and it was having a hard time getting on, but I did get in on, but I found after looking at a site that I didn't have it timed right so I did what the site said to do, I matched up the 2 notches on the sprockets, and made sure the #1 piston was at the TDC and then put it all back together. Then I turned the key, and It won't start, I trys to start, but it is acting like it isn't getting gas, and when I try to start it I can smell gas really strongly, especially by the gas tank, I think my gas lines might be clogged, but I am not sure, or maybe my injectors are bad. Is their a way to find out if any of those are the problem? or is their another thing to do to time it that the autozone site doesn't say?

Reply to
ss17goku

Did you have any trouble with the fuel system prior to the beginning of the present project?

A squirt of starting fluid into the throttle body when trying to start will help determine if there is a fuel problem.

Does your machine have a distributor? If so getting it back in the correct timing range can be a pain. Often it is one tooth off when it's down in the hole.

Another thing is the TDC of No. 1 piston. Make sure you are at TDC and not at the top of the exhaust stroke. Also confirm you have correctly identified No. 1 cylinder.

Reply to
Silver Surfer