My 1989 Pontiac 6000le 2.8 liter lost it's acceleration

My pontiac 6000 lost it's acceleration, like it takes 3 minutes just to get up to 40 mph. I tryed a couple things to it. I thought the the catylatic converter was clogged, or the muffler. but right now none of those are even on the car. and it still is won't accelerate right. I just seems like it isn't getting enough gas, but I know the fuel pump is good. So if someone could give me some ideas of what else I could do to fix it let me know.

Reply to
ss17goku

"ss17goku" wrote: > My pontiac 6000 lost it's acceleration, like it takes 3 > minutes just to > get up to 40 mph. I tryed a couple things to it. I thought the > the > catylatic converter was clogged, or the muffler. but right now > none of > those are even on the car. and it still is won't accelerate > right. I just > seems like it isn't getting enough gas, but I know the fuel > pump is good. > So if someone could give me some ideas of what else I could do > to fix it > let me know.

TPS, fuel filter.

Reply to
bonne

I checked the fuel filter it is still good, unless it has 2 filters. I read somewhere online that it has another filter in it's gas tank.

Reply to
ss17goku

"ss17goku" wrote: > I checked the fuel filter it is still good, unless it has 2 > filters. I read > somewhere online that it has another filter in it's gas tank.

It?s called a strainer. I doubt thats the problem, but if it became clogged up enough, then I suppose that could cause headaches.

-Check air filter

-Check for loose or leaking air duct between MAF Sensor and throttle body.

-Fuel pressure

-Ignition Timing

-EGR operation for being open all the time.

-Exhaust system (collapsed pipe)

-Engine valve timing and compression

-Worn camshaft

-TPS

Our maintenance vehicle at work had a bad TPS. Stepping down on the accelerator was just like stepping on a ripe tomato.

Don?t know if any of these things are the problem, but its something to look at. Let us know what you find.

Reply to
bonne

I think I hear an air leak, it sounds like it is coming from the left side of the engine. I have noticed a clicking sound the engine makes too, every couple of seconds.

Reply to
ss17goku

I think I hear an air leak, it sounds like it is coming from the left side of the engine. I have noticed a clicking sound the engine makes too, every couple of seconds.

Reply to
ss17goku

The air leak is fixed but the clicking sound is still their, I was told the clicking sound was a sticky valve. I have checked all the stuff that I was supposed to, and nothing helped. I checked autozone.com and looked at what it said to do. The only thing on it that was different is that it said to check the egr valve. So I checked that and it isn't working, so I am replacing that tomorrow, if that doesn't work then I don't know what else to do.

Reply to
ss17goku