1993 Grand Am Heater Core

I am attempting to bypass my heater core for the summer in my9 93 Grand Am. The problem is that I have no idea how you are supposed to fit your hands in there or get the friggin clamps off, it's like they are welded on!! Has anyone done this before and if so any suggestions?? Thanks!!!

Reply to
princessn3r

I never bypassed mine but I have replaced it 7 times. Since you are going to bypass it, just cut the hoses off with a knife.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

why are u trying to bypass it?

Reply to
Nascar24Rulz

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

i'm having trouble with what i suspect is my heater core (water collecting on the drivers side floorboard) on my 93 grand am as well. how can i tell for sure that it's the heater leaking and not something else. i s'pose i should note that i can't really tell where the water is coming from, it's just there, under the floormat. if it is my heater core, how hard would it be for someone like myself, with experience limited to the occassional alternater/starter/water pump replacement, to tackle it? is there a site or link that might help?

thanks in advance.

-CW

the summer in my9 93 Grand Am.

supposed to fit your hands

like they are welded on!! Has

suggestions?? Thanks!!!

I never bypassed mine but I have replaced it 7 times. Since you are going to bypass it, just cut the hoses off with a knife.

Reply to
Charles Whitaker

Don't know of any sites. You can replace the heater core. If you decide to do it yourself, then let us know and we can help. It will take 3-6 hours in your driveway. You will need small sockets, torx drivers, and screwdrivers. Having the above tools powered would help but is not necessary. Get a copper core - NOT aluminum!

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

There is no easy way. You just have to get the right combination of tools and angle. On one car I ended up grinding the clamp off. Once you get the clamp off, don' force the hose off you may break the plastic tube that goes to the core. You'll want to kind of pinch the outside of the hose with pliers to break the bond between the hose and tube.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Check to see if it is pure water or water plus antifreeze. If if coming from the core there should be antifreeze mixed in. If it is a window seal or other body rain leak then it will be just water.

When the ford I had before my Grand Am had a heater core leak it would blow fog into the passenger compartment when the AC was on.

I had front passenger side water on the floor until I cleaned out the area below the wiper blades so that water would drain properly from the winsheild area.

Reply to
john graesser