1994 Grand Am GT Belt squeals & Volt Meter moves

Hello,

I have a 1994 Grand Am GT, have owned it for 3 years now, and bought it from my cousin who was the original owner. Since I have owned it I have noticed every time it rains, the belt seems to squeal fairly often. I figured the water was splashing up on the belt from the wheel. When it squeals, the volt meter jumps down, and the headlights dim.

Over the past year, this has gotten worse. Now the belt squeals even when it's dry outside (but not as often). And the volt meter will jump down (slightly above the red mark) and up, even while travelleing at constant speed on the interstate. I replaced the fan belt about 8 months ago, and that seemed to help for a short while, but it is not back to the same way.

What is the most likely cause of this? Also, is there supposed to be a guard or something that keeps water from flinging up onto the fan belt?

Thanks! Donnie

Reply to
donnie86

How is your belt tensioner?

Reply to
80 Knight

The belt tensioner applies tension to the belt, thereby stopping the squealing. Odds are the tensioner or the tensioner pulley is shot. There is no water guard.

Reply to
PAuL

Thanks to both of you! I suspected this is what was wrong, I even bought a new tensioner, maybe I can put it on one of these days. Looks like I'll have to take the alternator off.

The squealing does stop after a few seconds, but the voltmeter jumps sometimes even when it's not squealing. I figured this is the belt slipping a little that is causing the voltmeter to drop every so often.

Again thanks for the insight, Donnie

PAuL wrote:

Reply to
donnie86 via CarKB.com