Alternator belt tension 94 Corolla

What is the correct deflection for the alternator belt on a 1994 Corolla with 7 series engine? Mine now has 1/2 inch measured at the top motor mount with firm pressure. New belt has been run for a week. Thanks

Reply to
Mr.E

The problem with measuring belt deflection is the ambiguity of the "firm pressure" often cited. I typically just tighten it enough to eliminate squeal. If you are worried that you have overtightened it, you can back of the tension until you get occasional squeals (typically on cold-starts for me), and then just tighten it a tad from there.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

They make Belt Tension Gauges for manually tensioned V-belts (cars without a spring tensioner on a multi-ribbed belt) - I have the Gates 'Krikit' which is inexpensive (around $10) and works like a torque wrench. You'll probably have to order one at your favorite auto parts, even though everyone should use one they rarely do when a "calibrated thumb" will work, so the stores don't stock them.

You put it on top of the belt and hold a tape measure next to it, push it till it 'clicks' and see how far down you went. They have a little chart with belt sizes, span between the pulleys at the point you checked it, and the proper setting range.

There are more expensive spring loaded gauges with three fingers and a torque dial, you just clamp it on the belt and read the tension from a dial gauge. If I ever find one for cheap, I'll grab it.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman